Ionic solids: enthelpy and entropy

In summary, the textbook hasn't mentioned free energy, but it does state that \Delta H has to be negative for ionic solids to dissolve.
nobahar
Hello!
If ionic solids are to dissolve, then [tex]\Delta H_{solution}[/tex] has to be negative, (possibly 0? For equilibrium?). This can occur if [tex]\Delta H_{hyd}[/tex] for both the cations and anions is greater than the [tex]\Delta H_{LE}[/tex]. But the textbook also states that a positive [tex]\Delta H_{solution}[/tex] can also result in the ionic solid dissolving if the entropy change, being positive, is favourable for it to do so. However, it also says that on some occasions, even if there is negative [tex]\Delta H_{solution}[/tex], the ionic solid will not dissolve because of an entropy decrease. The large attraction between the ions and, for example, water, is enough to reduce the entropy to a point where it is not a spontaneous process.

If [tex]\Delta H_{Hyd}[/tex] is large enough that it is favourable for the ions to be 'pulled' from the lattice; won't this also mean that the ions have a stronger charge (or are smaller, or both) and so there will be a reduction in entropy in the process?

An example given in the textbook is of CaCO3, which will not dissolve even though, apparently, the [tex]\Delta H_{solution}[/tex] is negative, because the entropy of the resulting solution is reduced, again to a point where there isn't a favourable change..

I don't know if this makes sense, as you may well be able to tell! Basically, can someone point me in the right direction or expand on this for me; that is, the role of entropy and enthalpy in the process? Since the textbook stops the discussion at this point. If the question isn't clear just let me know and I'll condense it!
Thanks.
Nobahar.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobahar said:
Hello!
If ionic solids are to dissolve, then [tex]\Delta H_{solution}[/tex] has to be negative, (possibly 0? For equilibrium?).

No. [tex]\Delta G_{solution}[/tex] must be negative not [tex]\Delta H_{solution}[/tex].

Basically, can someone point me in the right direction or expand on this for me; that is, the role of entropy and enthalpy in the process? Since the textbook stops the discussion at this point. If the question isn't clear just let me know and I'll condense it!
Thanks.
Nobahar.

Review the definition of gibbs free energy.

The textbook hasn't even mentioned free energy, it just states [tex]\Delta H[/tex].
I'll work on it. Thanks for the reply.:smile:

nobahar said:
The textbook hasn't even mentioned free energy, it just states [tex]\Delta H[/tex].
I'll work on it. Thanks for the reply.:smile:

Gibbs free energy takes into account both entropy and enthalpy , I am not quite certain where your confusion is on either , both of them describe universal tendencies ... you need to review both of the ultimate statements of entropy and enthalpy.

Related to Ionic solids: enthelpy and entropy

1. What is an ionic solid?

An ionic solid is a type of solid made up of positively and negatively charged ions that are held together by electrostatic forces. These solids typically have high melting and boiling points and are brittle in nature.

2. How does the enthalpy of an ionic solid affect its stability?

The enthalpy of an ionic solid refers to the energy released or absorbed when the solid is formed. A more negative enthalpy indicates a more stable solid, as it means that energy is released during the formation process.

3. How are entropy and disorder related in ionic solids?

Entropy is a measure of disorder in a system. In ionic solids, the arrangement of ions in a crystal lattice is highly ordered, leading to low entropy. As the temperature increases, the ions gain more energy and can move around, increasing the disorder and entropy of the system.

4. Can the enthalpy and entropy of an ionic solid be changed?

Yes, the enthalpy and entropy of an ionic solid can be changed by altering the conditions, such as temperature and pressure, under which it is formed. Changes in these conditions can affect the stability and physical properties of the solid.

5. How do ionic solids differ from covalent solids in terms of enthalpy and entropy?

Ionic solids and covalent solids have different types of bonding, leading to different enthalpy and entropy values. Covalent solids have stronger and more directional bonds, resulting in higher enthalpy and lower entropy compared to ionic solids.