Ionic Radius: Ordering Cl-, Be2+, Li+, F-, H-

In summary, the question asks for the order of ionic radius from largest to smallest for the following ions: Cl^-, Be^2+, Li^+, F^-, H^-. The suggested answer is Cl-, H-, F-, Li+, Be2+, but there is some controversy about the ionic radius of hydride. The chem TA believes that hydride should be last.
ubiquinone
Hi I have a question involving periodic trends. This time the trend is on ionic radius. I'm not sure I got this right so I was wondering if anyone here may please offer their advice. Thank you!

Question:
Order each of the following ions according to largest to smallest.
A. [tex]Cl^-[/tex]
B. [tex]Be^{2+}[/tex]
C. [tex]Li^+[/tex]
D. [tex]F^-[/tex]
E. [tex]H^-[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well have you read about the trend? It will make a lot more sense if you have read the information.

I have read the trend and I think the answer should be Cl-, H-, F-, Li+, Be2+.

However, I am not sure about this, because of the hydride. I heard that there is some controversy as what is the actual ionic radius. I just wanted to see if anyone here came up with the same order.

However, my chem TA disagreed and thinks the hydride should be last. What do you guys think?

Related to Ionic Radius: Ordering Cl-, Be2+, Li+, F-, H-

1. What is ionic radius?

Ionic radius is the measure of the size of an ion, which is an atom or molecule that has gained or lost one or more electrons, resulting in a positive or negative charge.

2. How is ionic radius determined?

Ionic radius is determined by measuring the distance between the nuclei of two ions that are bonded together, and then dividing that distance in half.

3. How does the ionic radius of Cl-, Be2+, Li+, F-, and H- compare?

The ionic radius follows a general trend in which the radius decreases as you move from left to right across the periodic table, and increases as you move down a group. Therefore, the ionic radius would be smallest for Cl-, followed by Be2+, Li+, F-, and H-.

4. Why is the ionic radius of Cl- larger than that of F-?

This is due to the fact that Cl- has more electrons than F-, meaning that the outermost electrons are further away from the nucleus and thus have a larger ionic radius.

5. How does the ionic radius of Be2+ compare to that of Li+?

Be2+ has a smaller ionic radius than Li+ because it has two fewer electrons than Li+, resulting in a smaller distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons.