Io.mac and io.obj for masm32 in windows

• Thread starter skriabin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, Io.mac and io.obj are two MASM32 library files used for input and output operations in Windows. To use them in a MASM32 program, you need to include the io.mac file and link the io.obj file during assembly. These files contain functions such as GetStdHandle, ReadConsole, and WriteConsole. They are only compatible with Windows and can be customized by creating your own library file. However, it is recommended to use the existing functions for reliability and efficiency.
skriabin
Hi, the release of masm32 doesn't come with the files to include io.mac and io.obj. I am very new to this assembly language and I'm wondering where to place these files I have obtained. I tried placing these in the folder \include and \bin and \masm32 but when I write include io.mac in my program, it says it can't find the file io.mac. Any help?
Thank you

Technology news on Phys.org
oh it was just placing these on the same folder with my programs. yeah beginner stuff :)

for reaching out. It sounds like you are trying to use the io.mac and io.obj files in your MASM32 assembly program. These files are typically used for input/output operations and are not included in the initial release of MASM32. However, you can obtain these files from third-party sources and add them to your MASM32 installation.

To use these files, you will need to place them in the appropriate folders within your MASM32 directory. The io.mac file should be placed in the \include folder and the io.obj file should be placed in the \lib folder.

Once these files are in the correct locations, you can use the include directive to add io.mac to your program. Make sure to also add the appropriate library reference to your program using the library directive.

If you continue to have trouble finding or using these files, I recommend reaching out to the MASM32 community or seeking assistance from a more experienced assembly programmer. Best of luck in your assembly language journey.

Related to Io.mac and io.obj for masm32 in windows

1. What is Io.mac and io.obj for masm32 in windows?

Io.mac and io.obj are two MASM32 library files that contain functions for handling input and output operations in Windows. They are commonly used in assembly language programming for creating user interfaces and interacting with the operating system.

2. How do I use Io.mac and io.obj in my MASM32 program?

To use Io.mac and io.obj in your MASM32 program, you need to include the following line of code at the beginning of your program: include \masm32\include\io.mac. You also need to link the io.obj file when assembling your program using the linker command link /SUBSYSTEM:windows /LIBPATH:\masm32\lib io.obj.

3. What are some common functions available in Io.mac and io.obj?

Some common functions available in Io.mac and io.obj include GetStdHandle, which retrieves a handle to the standard input, output, or error device; ReadConsole, which reads characters from the console input buffer; and WriteConsole, which writes characters to the console output buffer.

4. Are Io.mac and io.obj only compatible with Windows?

Yes, Io.mac and io.obj are specifically designed for use with MASM32 in Windows operating systems. They may not work with other operating systems or programming languages.

5. Can I customize or add my own functions to Io.mac and io.obj?

Yes, you can add your own functions to Io.mac and io.obj by creating your own MASM32 library file and linking it with the /LIBPATH command when assembling your program. However, it is recommended to use the existing functions in Io.mac and io.obj as they are tried and tested for compatibility and efficiency.