Investigating The Photon Sphere

In summary, the "vertical" escape velocity is 2.16GM/c^2 and the maximum angle for a photon to escape from the photon sphere is 147 degrees.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Looking for 2 functions of the radius of a Schwarzschild Black Hole: the "vertical" escape velocity and the maximum angle for a photon to escape the photon sphere.
I've spent well over two hours searching the web for two functions of the radius of a Schwarzschild BH. One would give me the escape velocity of the BH assuming a perfectly vertical trajectory (so it isn't a normal escape velocity). The second relates to the trajectory of a photon that is outbound from inside the photon sphere. How far from vertical can its trajectory be and still escape?

For the first one, if I used the regular escape velocity formula - which happens to work at the event horizon, I get 0.8165 c (##(\sqrt{2/3})c##). But I have no faith in that result.

For the second one, clearly at the event horizon, only a vertical trajectory will allow the photon to reach the photon sphere - and even then, with no remaining energy ("fully" red-shifted). So if the radius is measured in Schwarzschild radii, then at the EH ##f(1)=0##. At the photon sphere ##f(1.5)=\pi/2##. But I would not hazard a guess as to what that function is. ... Or maybe I will: ##f(r)=arctan((2r-2)/(3-2r))## ?? Not likely.

BTW: I hope you don't mind layers because the reason I am trying to get these equations is to prepare another PF post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Scott said:
Summary:: Looking for 2 functions of the radius of a Schwarzschild Black Hole: the "vertical" escape velocity and the maximum angle for a photon to escape the photon sphere.

Velocity and angle with respect to what?

Consider an observer who uses a rocket to hover at constant ##r##, ##\theta##, ##\phi##. With respect to this hovering observer, the escape velocity is

$$v = \sqrt{\frac{r_S}{r}}$$
and the maximum angle from vertical for escape by light is

$$\sin \theta = \frac{r_S}{2r} \sqrt{27 \left( 1 - \frac{r_S}{r} \right)}.$$
Here, ##r_S## is the Schwarzschild radius, and ##r## is the ##r## coordinate of the hovering observer.

This is in the first edition of "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler. A lecture based on this book is
https://web.stanford.edu/~oas/SI/SRGR/notes/SRGRLect11_2004.pdf

Likes PeterDonis and .Scott
Thanks @George Jones :
I have downloaded that page and will read it in full (it's only 13 ages).

The "vertical escape velocity" I was asking about is the minimum delta V, proper to a hovering vehicle, that would launch the vehicle to infinity. Alternatively, it is the delta V relative to a vehicle that has been dropped towards the BH from infinity that would be required to stop that vehicle.

The equation that you provided is the one that I used to compute my guess at this vertical escape velocity at the photon sphere (##r=1.5\times r_s##). So I'll score myself a lucky guess.

I notice that the paper you cited for the second equation provides a full derivation for that equation. ... and I should be able to follow it

Thanks again.
@.Scott

George Jones said:
and the maximum angle from vertical for escape by light is

$$\sin \theta = \frac{r_S}{2r} \sqrt{27 \left( 1 - \frac{r_S}{r} \right)}.$$
Here, ##r_S## is the Schwarzschild radius, and ##r## is the ##r## coordinate of the hovering observer.

This is in the first edition of "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler. A lecture based on this book is
https://web.stanford.edu/~oas/SI/SRGR/notes/SRGRLect11_2004.pdf
@George Jones

You and (I presume) the book are right.

But from the bottom of page 8 of the lecture notes you provided:
$$\sin \theta_{shell\space critical} = \frac{\sqrt{27}}{2}\frac{R_S}{r} \left( 1 - \frac{R_S}{r} \right)$$.

This is not the same as your equation - and it does not produce correct results. Also, those lecture notes match up 2.16GM/c^2 with a horizon view of 147 degrees. But to get 147, you need to start with about 2.18.

And thanks again - because even using your equation as a starting point in a Google search, I still can't find this online.

Last edited:

Related to Investigating The Photon Sphere

1. What is the photon sphere?

The photon sphere is a theoretical region around a black hole where light rays can orbit the black hole in a circular path. It is located at a distance of 1.5 times the event horizon radius.

2. How is the photon sphere related to the event horizon?

The photon sphere is located just outside the event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything, including light. The event horizon is the boundary where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, while the photon sphere is where light can orbit the black hole.

3. Why is the photon sphere important to study?

The photon sphere is important because it can provide information about the mass and spin of a black hole. By observing the behavior of light near the photon sphere, scientists can make inferences about the properties of the black hole.

4. Can anything else orbit the photon sphere besides light?

No, only light can orbit the photon sphere because it travels at the speed of light, which is the same as the escape velocity at that distance from the black hole. Any other object would need to travel faster than the speed of light to orbit the black hole, which is impossible.

5. How do scientists investigate the photon sphere?

Scientists use various techniques, such as analyzing the light emitted from objects near the black hole, to study the photon sphere. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior of light in this region. Additionally, they may observe the effects of gravitational lensing, where light from distant objects is bent by the black hole's gravity, to gather information about the photon sphere.