Investigating the Kinetics of a Steel Ball Rolling on a Level Surface

In summary, a steel ball with a mass of 4 kg and a velocity of 62 m/s has a kinetic energy of 7552 J. To achieve this speed, a constant force of 350 N was applied over a distance of 22 m. In the 1950's, a train with a mass of 2.50x10^4 kg was powered by a jet engine with a thrust of 5x10^5 N for a distance of 509 m. The work done on the train was 2.545x10^8
jai6638
A steel ball has a mass of 4 kg and rolls along a smooth level surface at 62 m/s.

a) Find its kinetic energy ( i found this.. )

b) At first, the ball was at rest on the surface. A constant force acted on it through a distance of 22 m to give it the speed of 62 m/s. What was the magnitude of the force?

so here's my thought process:

.5 mv^2 + mgh = .5mv^2 + mgh
0 = .5mv^2+mgh
-.5mv^2=mgh
mg=- .5mv^2/h
mg= - .5 x 4 x 62^2/22
mg= -350 N

is the above method correct?

Q2) In the 1950's, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.50x10^4 was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5x10^5 N for adistance of 509 m.

a) Find the work done on the train. ( found this to be 2.545E8)
b) Find the change in kinetic energy. ( 2.545E8)
c) Find the final kinetic energy of the train if it started from rest. ( how do i find this?? .5 mv^2 won't wrk since i don't know waht the velocity is )
d) find the final speed of the train if there were no friction ( how do i find this?? )

thanks much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On your b) you should have used

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} W_{i} = \Delta K [/tex]

Cyclovenom said:
On your b) you should have used

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} W_{i} = \Delta K [/tex]

so ur saying i would use W= delta K = fd?

but i'd still get the same answer of 350 N...

Yes, but i don't know where you got Potential Gravitational energy, the problem doesn't refers to a not leveled surface, plus there's inconsistency, because you got mg = -350N when that is weight, and the weight of the object is about 39.2 N.

is the magnitude of force = 1.69 x 10^5 n??

thanks

jai6638 said:
Q2) In the 1950's, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.50x10^4 was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5x10^5 N for adistance of 509 m.

a) Find the work done on the train. ( found this to be 2.545E8)
b) Find the change in kinetic energy. ( 2.545E8)
c) Find the final kinetic energy of the train if it started from rest. ( how do i find this?? .5 mv^2 won't wrk since i don't know waht the velocity is )
d) find the final speed of the train if there were no friction ( how do i find this?? )

thanks much

c) that's easy - it just means that KEi = 0 .. when KEi = 0, KEf = Work!
d) well then .5v^2 = work and then u can find v :-p

futb0l said:
c) that's easy - it just means that KEi = 0 .. when KEi = 0, KEf = Work!
d) well then .5v^2 = work and then u can find v :-p

so c= 2.545 x 10^8 right?

Related to Investigating the Kinetics of a Steel Ball Rolling on a Level Surface

1. What is meant by "kinetics" in this experiment?

Kinetics refers to the study of the motion of objects and the factors that affect their movement, such as forces and energy.

2. Why is a steel ball used instead of a different type of ball?

A steel ball is used because it is a uniform and dense object, which allows for more accurate measurements and consistent results in the experiment.

3. How is the level surface ensured to be truly level for this experiment?

The level surface is checked using a leveling tool to ensure that it is completely flat and parallel to the ground. This helps to eliminate any potential sources of error in the experiment.

4. What factors can affect the speed of the steel ball rolling on the level surface?

The speed of the steel ball can be affected by factors such as the angle of the surface, the surface texture, air resistance, and the initial force applied to the ball.

5. How many trials should be conducted for accurate results?

To ensure accurate results, multiple trials should be conducted and an average should be taken. The exact number of trials may vary depending on the specific experiment and the level of precision desired.