Investigating the Hydrothermal Decomposition of Hemicellulose

In summary, the incomplete reaction model I'm using says 20% of my original hemicellulose is converted into acetic acid. In comparison to other papers this seems to be too high. So were does my acetic acid go? My incomplete reaction model says it goes into the production of hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide. Does anyone have a more detailed reaction kinetics model that could help me understand where all of this acetic acid goes?
hank63
I'm working on the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose and one of the reaction products is acetic acid. The incomplete reaction model I'm using says 20% of my original hemicellulose is converted into acetic acid. In comparison to other papers this seems to be too high. So were does my acetic acid go?
I know some H2, CH4, CO and CO2 is produced, but not in what quantities. I thought that detailed reaction kinetics on the subject would be "known", but I'm not able to find it.
A paper that is close by is: "Renewable hydrogen production by a mild-temperature steam reforming of the model compound acetic acid derived from bio-oil" by Z. Li et al from 2012.
I'm working on the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose and one of the reaction products is acetic acid. The incomplete reaction model I'm using says 20% of my original hemicellulose is converted into acetic acid. In comparison to other papers this seems to be too high. So were does my acetic acid go?
I know some H2, CH4, CO and CO2 is produced, but not in what quantities. I thought that detailed reaction kinetics on the subject would be "known", but I'm not able to find it.
A paper that is close by is: "Renewable hydrogen production by a mild-temperature steam reforming of the model compound acetic acid derived from bio-oil" by Z. Li et al from 2012.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Yours, the incomplete reaction model's or the 'other papers'? Yours, the incomplete reaction model's or the 'other papers'?

ROFL

That's what happens when you post in several places using copy/paste.

Mine in this case is the incomplete reaction model.Mine in this case is the incomplete reaction model.

hank63 said:
Mine in this case is the incomplete reaction model.Mine in this case is the incomplete reaction model.

OK, OK! :smile: Seriously though, you don't tell us anything about your reaction model (name, author, basis, etc...), you don't tell us anything about the "other papers" (again, name author, journal reference, etc...) but you want us to troubleshoot or account for differences between them? Take a minute and think about that.

Does your model accurately account for 2-furaldehyde, 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furaldehyde and lactic acid? Do the "other papers" discuss these as well? Is this an oxygen limited system and how is supplemental oxygen handled for your process?

Related to Investigating the Hydrothermal Decomposition of Hemicellulose

1. What is hydrothermal decomposition?

Hydrothermal decomposition is a chemical reaction that involves breaking down a substance in the presence of water and high temperature and pressure conditions. This process is often used to convert biomass, such as hemicellulose, into usable products.

2. What is hemicellulose?

Hemicellulose is a complex carbohydrate found in the cell walls of plants. It is often considered a waste product in industries that use wood or other plant materials, but can be chemically decomposed into sugars that can be used in the production of biofuels and other valuable products.

3. How is the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose investigated?

The hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose is typically investigated through laboratory experiments. These experiments involve subjecting hemicellulose to high pressure and temperature conditions in the presence of water, and analyzing the resulting products to determine the effectiveness of the decomposition process.

4. What factors can affect the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose?

There are several factors that can affect the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose, including the type and amount of hemicellulose being used, the temperature and pressure conditions, the presence of catalysts, and the duration of the reaction. The composition of the starting material and the reaction conditions can greatly impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the decomposition process.

5. What are the potential applications of hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose?

The hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose has several potential applications, including the production of biofuels, such as ethanol and butanol, as well as the production of valuable chemicals, such as furfural and levulinic acid. This process also has the potential to reduce waste and decrease the reliance on fossil fuels, making it an important area of research in sustainable energy production.