Investigating the effects of changing the length and width of transistor channel

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking confirmation on using an equation for an assignment related to investigating how changing the width and length of a transistor channel affects the threshold voltage. The student has been given certain parameters and is questioning if they are using the correct equation. They also mention having trouble rearranging equations.
SMOF
Hello,

I posted this here because it is for a bit of course work, but I am just looking to confirm if I am using the right equation. I hope this is ok! If not, sorry! I just didn't think since I was asking a specific assignment question, I would post here.

I need to investiage how changing the width and length of a transistor channel effects the threshold voltage. I need to do this in a simulation package and in theory. The simulation is grand, so now I just need to back it up.

I have been given a few parameters, such as a starting threshold voltage, figure for mobability, thickness of oxide. So, would I be correct in using, and rearranging the following equation to see how the Vt changes?

Id = β ((Vg-Vt)Vd - Vd2/2)

Where β = ([itex]\mu[/itex]0 W Cox/L)

I have some issues rearrenging equations, but if I know I am on the right path, I can work on it.

Thanks in advance.

Seán

Physics news on Phys.org
Opps, guess I did post in the wrong place.

Sorry!

Seán

Related to Investigating the effects of changing the length and width of transistor channel

1. How does changing the length and width of a transistor channel affect its performance?

By changing the length and width of a transistor channel, the electrical characteristics of the transistor, such as its current-carrying capacity and switching speed, can be altered. A shorter and wider channel typically results in higher current and faster switching speed, while a longer and narrower channel may have lower current and slower switching speed.

2. How does the length and width of a transistor channel impact its power consumption?

The length and width of a transistor channel can affect its power consumption in several ways. A shorter and wider channel may have lower resistance, resulting in lower power consumption. However, a longer and narrower channel may have better control over the flow of current, leading to lower leakage current and thus lower power consumption. The effect of changing the dimensions of a transistor channel on power consumption depends on the specific design and operating conditions.

3. What experimental methods can be used to investigate the effects of changing the length and width of a transistor channel?

There are several experimental methods that can be used to investigate the effects of changing the length and width of a transistor channel, such as electrical characterization using a semiconductor parameter analyzer, device simulation using computer software, and physical measurements using a scanning electron microscope (SEM) or atomic force microscope (AFM). Each method has its advantages and limitations, and a combination of these methods is often used to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the transistor behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to changing the length and width of a transistor channel?

There are limitations to changing the length and width of a transistor channel, primarily due to the manufacturing process and material properties. For example, the minimum feature size allowed by the fabrication process may limit how small the dimensions of the transistor channel can be. Additionally, changing the dimensions too drastically may result in reliability issues, such as increased leakage current or breakdown voltage. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully consider the limitations and trade-offs when designing a transistor with specific channel dimensions.

5. How can the findings from investigating the effects of changing the length and width of a transistor channel be applied in practical applications?

The findings from this research can be applied in various practical applications, such as improving the performance and power efficiency of electronic devices. By understanding how the dimensions of a transistor channel affect its behavior, engineers can optimize the design of transistors for specific applications, such as high-speed data processing or low-power consumption. This research can also contribute to the development of new and improved semiconductor devices and technologies.