Investigating Slingshot Physics: Finding Distance as a Function of Displacement

In summary, the relationship between the displacement of an elastic band and the distance an attached object will travel can be described by a formula of x = √((m*v2)/(k)), where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity at release, and k is the spring constant of the elastic band. This formula takes into account the conservation of energy and assumes negligible effects of friction and air resistance.
FredericChopin
I am investigating how the displacement of an elastic band affects the distance an attached object will travel (the relationship between how far back you pull a slingshot and the distance an object will travel). What I am trying to do is find a formula where distance traveled is a function of elastic band displacement (in other words, a formula which says "x = ... d..."), but I ended up very confused. I tried equation manipulation with the following equations:

W = F*d

W = ΔEKinetic

EKinetic = (1/2)*m*v2

and

EElastic Potential = (1/2)*k*x2

I got close to the final equation, but I couldn't make it. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

* In the final equation, where "x = ... d...", I don't want the force, F, to be in the equation.

* We are assuming that initial kinetic energy was 0 (meaning that the initial velocity was 0).

* We are assuming that the effects of friction and air resistance are negligible.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the F of the elastic band is constant with distance.

You could try hooke's law on it and measure the F values for various distances of pullback.

Then you can use that to compute the work involved.

I didn't quite understand the question..

FredericChopin said:
In the final equation, where "x = ... d...", I don't want the force, F, to be in the equation.
You won't need F, but you will need the "sprint constant" k for the sling shot. Note this is an approximation, since the graph of force versus stretch of rubber bands is not a straight line, but a curve. Example graph from a wiki article, which is also somewhat idealized. Usually the slope for the initial stretch is steeper, then decreases to a near straight line, then increases again at the limit of stretch (permanent deformation can occur if stretched close to the limit):

Elastic_hysteresis.htm

Archived web page showing a stretch versus tension graph for latex rubber used to launch radio control gliders (tension at 300% is about 175 lbs per square inch cross sectional area):

rubberdata.htm

Last edited:
Thank you very much, but I have found a solution:

First, due to conservation of energy, the elastic potential energy of the elastic band is equal to the kinetic energy of release. So:

EElastic Potential = (1/2)*k*x2

EKinetic = (1/2)*m*v2

(1/2)*k*x2 = (1/2)*m*v2

(1/2)*x2 = (m*v2)/(2k)

x2 = (2m*v2)/(2k)

x = √((m*v2)/(k))

By finding v2 using the equations of motion, the mass, m, will be the function of spring displacement, x, while v2 and k remain constant (v2 will change depending on the desired displacement for the object to travel in the x or y axis).

Related to Investigating Slingshot Physics: Finding Distance as a Function of Displacement

1. What is the purpose of investigating slingshot physics?

The purpose of investigating slingshot physics is to understand how the distance an object travels is affected by the displacement of the slingshot. This can help us predict the trajectory and range of objects launched from slingshots, and also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and ballistics.

2. What is displacement in slingshot physics?

Displacement in slingshot physics refers to the distance between the initial position of the object being launched and its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and can be measured in meters (m) or other units of length.

3. How is distance related to displacement in slingshot physics?

Distance and displacement are closely related in slingshot physics. The distance an object travels is directly proportional to its displacement, meaning that as the displacement increases, so does the distance traveled. This relationship is often represented by a graph, where the slope of the line represents the ratio of distance to displacement.

4. What other factors can affect the distance an object travels in slingshot physics?

Aside from displacement, other factors that can affect the distance an object travels in slingshot physics include the force applied to the slingshot, the mass and shape of the object being launched, and air resistance. These factors can all influence the trajectory and range of the object.

5. How is slingshot physics relevant to other fields of science?

Slingshot physics has applications in various fields of science, including engineering, ballistics, and even astronomy. Understanding the principles of slingshot physics can help engineers design more efficient catapults and launch systems, and can also aid in the study of planetary orbits and trajectories in space.