Investigating Properties of Inverse Functions

In summary: I wasn't really sure what to do about the inverse of a function that goes up to 5, so I just picked 5. I guess it could have been any number, but 5 seemed like a good choice.
msimard8
Ok here is teh question, there is parts a-e, i have a-d answered correctly, but am having trouble on e.

Q: A function g is g(x)=4(x-3)^2 + 1

a) Graph g and the inverse of g. (Already completed)

b) At what points do g and the inverse of g intersect. (completed)

c) Determine an equation that defines the inverse of g.
the answer is y=3 +/- (root of (x-1/4) )

d) State restrictions on the domain or range of g so that its inverse is a function.

i got x is greater or equal to 3 and x is less than or equal to 3

then finally

e) Suppose teh domain of g is {x|2 < or equal to x < or equal to 5, XER}
Would the inverse be a function? Justify your answer.

Ok. The answers say the inverse is not a function because the

inverse of g (5) = 2 and
inverse of g (5) =4

i guess that makes sense because there is two y coordinates for that x. My question how do you algabraically solve that. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
msimard8 said:
Ok here is teh question, there is parts a-e, i have a-d answered correctly, but am having trouble on e.

Q: A function g is g(x)=4(x-3)^2 + 1

a) Graph g and the inverse of g. (Already completed)

b) At what points do g and the inverse of g intersect. (completed)

c) Determine an equation that defines the inverse of g.
the answer is y=3 +/- (root of (x-1/4) )

d) State restrictions on the domain or range of g so that its inverse is a function.

i got x is greater or equal to 3 and x is less than or equal to 3

then finally

e) Suppose teh domain of g is {x|2 < or equal to x < or equal to 5, XER}
Would the inverse be a function? Justify your answer.

Ok. The answers say the inverse is not a function because the

inverse of g (5) = 2 and
inverse of g (5) =4

i guess that makes sense because there is two y coordinates for that x. My question how do you algabraically solve that. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Simple. Hopefully your inverse function was supposed to be:
[tex]y=3 \pm \sqrt{\frac{x-1}{4}}[/tex]

So using the + sign: y(5) = 3 + 1 = 4.
Using the - sign: y(5) = 3 -1 = 2.

Since we may use either sign, that means that y(5) is double valued, which violates the definition of a function.

-Dan

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks a lot Dan.

One question. Why are you using f(5). Why did you chose the number 5. Is it because it is the highest possible x coordinate.

Thanks

Related to Investigating Properties of Inverse Functions

1) What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that reverses the effect of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps a value x to a value y, then the inverse function f^-1(y) maps the value y back to the value x.

2) How do you determine if two functions are inverses of each other?

To determine if two functions are inverses of each other, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of both functions at only one point, then the functions are inverses of each other.

3) What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of an inverse function is the domain of the original function. In other words, the input and output values are switched between the original function and its inverse.

4) How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the equation of the inverse function. Additionally, you can use the algebraic method of switching the x and y variables and solving for y, or you can use the graphical method of reflecting the original function over the line y=x.

5) What are some real-world applications of inverse functions?

Inverse functions have many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering. For example, in finance, inverse functions are used to calculate compound interest and loan amortization. In physics, inverse functions can be used to model the relationship between force and distance in mechanical systems. In engineering, inverse functions are used to design and optimize systems, such as in signal processing and control systems.