Investigating Ball Bearing Roll Down Slope Time

In summary, the conversation involves a project investigating the relationship between the distance traveled by a ball bearing rolling down a slope and the time taken to reach the end of the ramp. The independent variable is the distance of travel, and the ball starts from rest each time. The given parameters are the angle of inclination, mass and diameter of the ball bearing. The person has worked out various values such as average speed, acceleration, kinetic and potential energy, and plotted graphs. They have also noted that the square root of distance is equal to time. They are unsure of where to go next and mention the possibility of using trigonometry and conservation of energy to predict the ball bearing's speed. They are also prompted to look into free body diagrams.
alex_boothby
hey, well I am doing a project and the title is 'investigating how the distnce traveled by a ball bearing rolling down a slope affects time taken' so basically how the distance of travel (independent variable) effects the time taken to reach the end of the ramp. and, the ball starts from rest each time. and we have been given a set of results with the distance from which it was released from and the time it took to reach the bottom of the ramp.
we were also given the angle of inclination = 5 degrees
mass of ball bearing= 0.0167g
diameter of ball bearing= 0.0153m

What i have done so far is worked out lots of values, what i have is, average speed at a certain distance, i.e 0.05 then 0.1, 0.15 etc. also have sqaure root of distance. speed squared, average accerlation at each certain distance, kinetic energy, potential energy, and speed at a certain distane (this is only correct assuming the accerleation is constant, i simply doubled it)

i have plotted graphs and realized that sqaure root of distance = time

i don't really no where to go from here, would it help if i sent you my excell spread sheet, i beleve trignomerty with vector diagrams must come into somewhere, i need to compare theoretical vaules to actual, as some will be lost to to resistive force, i also think an equation for circular motion may be relavent but i don't know much about it. please ask if any more information is needed.

thank you very much al.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about free body diagrams?
Do you know about conservation of energy, and how to use it to predict the ball bearing's speed?

no, not really, but i guess that's a hint to look into it. i shall google it

Related to Investigating Ball Bearing Roll Down Slope Time

1. How does the slope angle affect the roll down time of a ball bearing?

The slope angle has a direct impact on the roll down time of a ball bearing. A steeper slope will cause the ball bearing to accelerate faster and reach the bottom in a shorter amount of time compared to a shallower slope.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the ball bearing and the roll down time?

The mass of the ball bearing does not have a significant effect on the roll down time. As long as the slope angle and surface friction remain constant, the mass of the ball bearing will not affect the time it takes to reach the bottom of the slope.

3. How does surface friction impact the roll down time of a ball bearing?

Surface friction plays a major role in the roll down time of a ball bearing. A surface with high friction will cause the ball bearing to slow down and take longer to reach the bottom of the slope, while a surface with low friction will allow the ball bearing to roll down faster.

4. Can air resistance affect the roll down time of a ball bearing?

In most cases, air resistance will not have a noticeable impact on the roll down time of a ball bearing. The force of air resistance is relatively small compared to the force of gravity pulling the ball bearing down the slope. However, in experiments where the ball bearing is dropped from a considerable height, air resistance may become a factor.

5. How can we control variables to ensure accurate results when investigating ball bearing roll down slope time?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to control variables such as slope angle, surface friction, and release point of the ball bearing. These variables should remain constant throughout the experiment to eliminate any external factors that could affect the roll down time. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce the impact of any outliers.