Investigate Convergence of tanx Series: Find Common Ratio & Sum to Infinity

In summary, the question is asking to investigate the convergence of the sequence tanx, tan2x, tan3x, ..., tannx for values of x in the range of -90 to 90 degrees. To solve this, one needs to find the common ratio, draw the graph, and determine for which values of x the sequence will converge. The sum to infinity can also be calculated using the formula for geometric sums, which is 1/(1-tanx). In this case, it is only valid for values of x that make the common ratio less than 1, which is -pi/4 < x < pi/4.
Alexeia
Hi,

Please help me with this question: Investigate the convergence of the sequence tanx;tan2x;tan3x;...;tannx for xE(-90;90 degrees). Steps to follow: Find common ratio. Draw the graph. For which values will x converge. Determine sum to infinity.

I did try to solve, but file type too big to upload my answers.

Please help..

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alexeia said:
Hi,

Please help me with this question: Investigate the convergence of the sequence tanx;tan2x;tan3x;...;tannx for xE(-90;90 degrees). Steps to follow: Find common ratio. Draw the graph. For which values will x converge. Determine sum to infinity.

I did try to solve, but file type too big to upload my answers.

Please help..

Thanks

Setting $\tan x = \xi$ the series to be analized is $\displaystyle \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \xi^{n}$, which is 'geometrical' and converges for $|\xi|< 1 \implies -\frac{\pi}{4} < x < \frac{\pi}{4}$... in case of convergence is $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \tan^{n} x = \frac{1}{1 - \tan x}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

P.S. The formula for geometric sums is in...

Geometric Series -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Last edited:
Thank you,

The last part, how do you derive that the sum to infinity is 1 \div(1 - tanx)? Is it according to the Sum to infinity formula? To find the answer do I use 1 \div(1 - tan(45))? 1\div1 - tan(45) , Cant divide by 0.. ? Or do I just leave it as 1\div(1 - tanx)

Related to Investigate Convergence of tanx Series: Find Common Ratio & Sum to Infinity

What is the formula for the sum of a tanx series?

The formula for the sum of a tanx series is Sum = a / (1-r), where a is the first term of the series and r is the common ratio.

How do you find the common ratio of a tanx series?

The common ratio of a tanx series can be found by dividing any term by its previous term. For example, if the series is 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, the common ratio would be 2 (2/1 = 4/2 = 8/4 = 16/8).

What is the condition for convergence of a tanx series?

In order for a tanx series to converge, the absolute value of the common ratio must be less than 1. This means that the ratio of any two consecutive terms must be less than 1 in absolute value (i.e. between -1 and 1).

How do you determine the sum to infinity of a convergent tanx series?

The sum to infinity of a convergent tanx series can be determined using the formula Sum = a / (1-r), where a is the first term of the series and r is the common ratio. If the common ratio is between -1 and 1, the sum to infinity will be a finite number.

What is the significance of investigating the convergence of a tanx series?

Investigating the convergence of a tanx series allows us to determine if the series has a finite sum or if it diverges to infinity. This is important in understanding the behavior and properties of mathematical series, and can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.