Inverted physical pendulum, time taken to hit ground.

In summary, the pencil will tip over in 4.7 seconds if it is initially balanced on its point at a angle of 1 x 10^{-17} radians.
AbigailM
I'm currently preparing for a classical prelim and am concerned that this problem may not be correct. I'm second guessing myself due to the hint given in the problem, which I did not use. Any help is more than appreciated. A picture of the pendulum is included.

Homework Statement

A thin pencil with length 20 cm is balanced on a desktop, standing on its point so that its angle of inclination [itex]\theta[/itex] with respect to the vertical is nearly zero. A small perturbation is sufficient to tip it over. Suppose that initially, [itex]\theta (0) = 1 x 10^{-17} radians[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\theta(0)} = 0[/itex]. Assuming that the pencil point remains fixed, in how many second will it tip over on its side through and angle of [itex]90^{°}[/itex]?

Hint: The following integral, accurate for [itex]\theta_{0} < 0.01[/itex] may be useful.

[itex]\int_{\theta_{0}}^{\pi /2} \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{cos \theta_{0}-cos \theta}} \cong -\sqrt{2} ln \theta_{0} + 1.695[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]g = 9.8m/s^{2}[/itex]
[itex]l = 20cm = .20m[/itex]

[itex]I = I_{cm} + mh^{2} ; h = l/2[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{1}{12} ml^{2} + \frac{1}{4} ml^{2}[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{4}{12} ml^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]T = \frac{1}{2}I \dot{\theta^{2}} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{4}{12}ml^{2})\dot{\theta^{2}} = \frac{1}{6}ml^{2}\dot{\theta^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]U = mg \frac{l}{2} cos \theta[/itex]

[itex]L = T - U = \frac{1}{6}ml^{2}\dot{\theta^{2}} - mg\frac{l}{2}cos\theta[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} = mg\frac{l}{2}sin\theta[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}\right) = \frac{1}{3}ml^{2}\ddot{\theta}[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{\theta} = \frac{3g}{2l} sin \theta = \omega^{2} sin \theta \hspace{1 in} \omega = \sqrt{\frac{3g}{2l}} = 8.58 \frac{rad}{s}[/itex]

We can use small angle approximation so [itex]\ddot{\theta} \approx \omega^{2} \theta[/itex]

[itex]\theta (t) = Ae^{\omega t} + Be^{-\omega t} \hspace{1 in} \dot{\theta (t)} = \omega Ae^{\omega t} - \omega Be^{-\omega t}[/itex]

[itex]\dot{\theta} (0) = \omega A - \omega B = 0 \hspace{1 in} ; A = B[/itex]

[itex]\theta (t) = A \left(e^{\omega t} + e^{- \omega t}\right) = 2Acosh(\omega t)[/itex]

[itex]\theta (0) = 2A = 1 x 10^{-17} rad[/itex]

[itex]\theta (t) = (1 x 10^{-17})cosh(\omega t)[/itex]

[itex]\theta (t) = \frac{\pi}{2} - 1 x 10^{-17} rad \approx \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\theta (t) = \frac{\pi}{2} = (1 x 10^{-17})cosh(\omega t)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\pi}{2 x 10^{-17}} = cosh(\omega t)[/itex]

[itex]t = \left(\frac{1}{\omega} \right) cosh^{-1} \left(\frac{\pi}{2 x 10^{-17}}\right) = \frac{1}{8.58} cosh^{-1}\left(\frac{\pi}{2 x 10^{-17}}\right)[/itex]

[itex]t \approx 4.7s[/itex]

Attachments

• pendulum.png
    pendulum.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
AbigailM said:
We can use small angle approximation so [itex]\ddot{\theta} \approx \omega^{2} \theta[/itex]

Oh? Is this true throughout the pencil's 90 degree fall?

Oh I see what you mean! Hrmm [itex]\ddot{\theta} = \omega^{2} sin \theta[/itex] can't be solved analytically can it? Maybe this is where the hint is useful. Thanks for pointing that out.

AbigailM said:
Oh I see what you mean! Hrmm [itex]\ddot{\theta} = \omega^{2} sin \theta[/itex] can't be solved analytically can it?

Depends on what you consider to be a solution - [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] can be expressed using a special function called the Jacobi Amplitude function.

But, since what you really want to know is the time it takes for the pencil to fall, you don't actually need to calculate [itex]\theta(t)[/itex]. Instead, you can get away with just knowing [itex]\dot{\theta}(t)[/itex] since

[tex]T=\int_0^T dt = \int_{\theta(0)}^{\theta(T)} \frac{d\theta}{\dot{\theta}}[/tex]

To get [itex]\dot{\theta}(t)[/itex], just use the common trick of multiplying your DE by [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex] and recognizing that

[tex]\dot{\theta}\ddot{\theta} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dt}\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

I noticed that your equation for T doesn't have a factor of [itex]2 \pi[/itex], when [itex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/itex]. In the Jacobi method on Wikipedia they don't have it there either. What am I missing? Thanks again.

Oh hahahah nevermind. It was staring me right in the face, [itex]\frac{dt}{d \theta}[/itex] , move the [itex]d \theta[/itex] over and integrate both sides.

AbigailM said:
Oh hahahah nevermind. It was staring me right in the face, [itex]\frac{dt}{d \theta}[/itex] , move the [itex]d \theta[/itex] over and integrate both sides.

Exactly. Of course, if treating differentials like fractions in this way bothers you, you could always just use conservation of energy to find the same result.

Cool, I was able to get the solution. Thanks again for all the help gabbagabbahey.

Related to Inverted physical pendulum, time taken to hit ground.

1. What is an inverted physical pendulum?

An inverted physical pendulum is a type of pendulum where the pivot point is located above the center of mass, causing the pendulum to swing in an inverted motion. This is in contrast to a traditional pendulum where the pivot point is located at the bottom and the pendulum swings in a normal motion.

2. How is the time taken to hit the ground calculated for an inverted physical pendulum?

The time taken to hit the ground for an inverted physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the time, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors can affect the time taken for an inverted physical pendulum to hit the ground?

The time taken for an inverted physical pendulum to hit the ground can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the initial angle of release, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that can affect the motion of the pendulum include air resistance and friction.

4. How does the initial angle of release affect the time taken for an inverted physical pendulum to hit the ground?

The initial angle of release can affect the time taken for an inverted physical pendulum to hit the ground as it determines the initial velocity of the pendulum. A larger initial angle of release will result in a longer time taken to hit the ground as the pendulum will travel a longer distance.

5. Are there any real-life applications for an inverted physical pendulum?

Yes, inverted physical pendulums have many real-life applications. They are commonly used in robotics for balance control, as well as in seismology to measure the effects of earthquakes. They are also used in sports equipment, such as in golf putters and tennis rackets, to increase stability and improve performance.