Inverse transformation matrix entry bounds

In summary, the problem is that the bounds for the inverse of the transformation matrix are not expressible in terms of the min/max bounds for the original matrix. A solution may be to find the inverse through row-reduction or by using co-factors.
atrus_ovis
I have sets of 2d vectors to be transformed by an augmented matrix A that performs an affine transform.
Matrix A can have values that differ at most |d| from the identity matrix, to limit the transformation, meaning that the min/max bounds for A are [itex] I_3 \pm dI_3[/itex]

The problem is that i'd lke to have bounds for the inverse as well, expressed as a function of d, so that if i know that the transformation matrix is bound by d, that the matrix of the inverse transformation is bound by f(d).
I thought the same bounds would apply, but they don't.
Is there a way to find them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody replies :(
Well i had the following idea:
make a matrix [ A , eye(3) , MinBound , MaxBound] , and reduce it to row echelon form.
That way the first 3x3 chunk will be eye(3) , the second the inverse of A , the third and fourth the respective min and max bounds for the inverse, hopefully.

atrus_ovis said:
Matrix A can have values that differ at most |d| from the identity matrix, to limit the transformation, meaning that the min/max bounds for A are [itex] I_3 \pm dI_3[/itex]

Is d a scalar? Are you saying that A must be a diagonal matrix?

Hey atrus_ovis.

Try setting up the augmented system and find the inverse through row-reduction or by using co-factors (Cramers Rule) and you'll get an answer in terms of d.

Stephen Tashi said:
Is d a scalar? Are you saying that A must be a diagonal matrix?
It is a scalar.A is not a diagonal,it's an identity matrix, where each value is shifted by at least/most +/- d.

Try setting up the augmented system and find the inverse through row-reduction or by using co-factors (Cramers Rule) and you'll get an answer in terms of d.
Yup,that's what i did.

atrus_ovis said:
It is a scalar.A is not a diagonal,it's an identity matrix, where each value is shifted by at least/most +/- d.

The expression [itex] I_3 \pm d I_3 [/itex] only adds or subtracts d to the diagonal elements of the identity matrix [itex] I_3 [/itex].

You're right, i meant [itex] I_3 \pm \text{repmat(d,3,3)} [/itex] in matlabese.

Related to Inverse transformation matrix entry bounds

1. What is an inverse transformation matrix?

An inverse transformation matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with another transformation matrix, produces an identity matrix. It essentially "undoes" the transformation performed by the original matrix.

2. How is an inverse transformation matrix calculated?

The inverse transformation matrix can be calculated by using the original matrix's determinant and adjugate matrix. The formula for calculating the inverse is: A-1 = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where det(A) is the determinant of the original matrix and adj(A) is the adjugate matrix.

3. What are the entry bounds for an inverse transformation matrix?

The entry bounds for an inverse transformation matrix depend on the entries of the original matrix. If the original matrix has entries that are integers, then the entries of the inverse matrix will also be integers. Similarly, if the original matrix has entries that are real numbers, then the entries of the inverse matrix will also be real numbers.

4. What is the significance of the entry bounds for an inverse transformation matrix?

The entry bounds for an inverse transformation matrix are important because they determine the accuracy and precision of the inverse transformation. If the entries of the inverse matrix are limited to a certain range, then the inverse transformation may not be able to accurately undo the original transformation.

5. How can I use the entry bounds of an inverse transformation matrix in my research?

The entry bounds of an inverse transformation matrix can be used to determine the feasibility and accuracy of using inverse transformations in your research. It can also be used to analyze the effects of rounding errors and determine the appropriate precision for your calculations.