Inverse Square Law HELP PLEASE

In summary, in a free, unbounded space, the sound intensity or pressure at distance 3R or 2R from its source respectively would be 1/9 or 1/4 of the original value. The difference in decibels would be -18dB or -12dB respectively. This is due to the inverse square law, where the value of the physical observable is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.
RichardGib

Homework Statement

If I measure a sound intensity of 1.0 at distance R from its source, what intensity would I measure at distance 3R in a free, unbounded space? What is the difference in decibels?

&

If I measure a sound pressure of 1.0 at distance R from its source, what pressure would I measure at distance 2R in a free, unbounded space? What is the difference in decibels?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am stuck on this. i thought the answer to the first question could be a difference of -18db? Really stuck here...

Thankyou!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse square law simply means that the value of the physical observable involved is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. That is to say, for instance if the distance is doubled, then the value falls to a quarter (half squared).

Hello Richard, welcome to PF :)

Please check the PF guidelines (especially #4); the way you post now actually prevents us from helping you further.

And you can read up on the subject a little here

BvU said:
Hello Richard, welcome to PF :)

Please check the PF guidelines (especially #4); the way you post now actually prevents us from helping you further.

And you can read up on the subject a little here
Thankyou :)

I am here to help you understand the concept of the Inverse Square Law. This law states that the intensity or power of a point source decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. In other words, as you move further away from the source, the intensity decreases exponentially.

For your first question, if you measure a sound intensity of 1.0 at distance R, then at distance 3R, the intensity would be 1/9 or 0.111. The difference in decibels can be calculated using the formula 10 log (1/0.111) = 10 log 9 = 9 dB. This means that the sound intensity at 3R would be 9 decibels lower than at R.

For your second question, if you measure a sound pressure of 1.0 at distance R, then at distance 2R, the pressure would be 1/4 or 0.25. The difference in decibels can be calculated using the formula 20 log (1/0.25) = 20 log 4 = 6 dB. This means that the sound pressure at 2R would be 6 decibels lower than at R.

I hope this helps you understand the Inverse Square Law better. Remember, as distance increases, the intensity or pressure decreases, and the difference in decibels follows a logarithmic scale.

Related to Inverse Square Law HELP PLEASE

1. What is the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the intensity of a source of light or other radiation and the distance from the source. It states that the intensity of radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

2. How does the Inverse Square Law apply to light?

In terms of light, the Inverse Square Law means that as you move away from a light source, the intensity of the light decreases exponentially. For example, if you move twice as far from a light source, the intensity of the light will decrease by a factor of four.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is used in many fields, including astronomy, photography, and medical imaging. It explains phenomena such as the brightness of stars, the intensity of light from a camera flash, and the dosage of radiation in medical procedures.

4. How is the Inverse Square Law derived?

The Inverse Square Law is derived from the basic principles of geometry and the fact that energy spreads out evenly in all directions from a source. By considering a spherical surface around a point source, it can be mathematically proven that the intensity of radiation decreases as the square of the distance from the source.

5. What are some limitations or exceptions to the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law assumes that the radiation source is a point source and that there are no objects that block or absorb the radiation. In reality, most sources of radiation have a finite size and there may be objects in the path of the radiation that can affect its intensity. Additionally, some types of radiation, such as sound, do not follow the Inverse Square Law because they spread out spherically in three dimensions rather than in two dimensions.