Inverse phase sound wave where does energy go?

In summary, two sound waves with opposite polarities can cancel each other out at special points, but at other locations they add together. The energy is transferred through the tension in the medium, similar to waves on a string. When two speakers are side-by-side pointing in the same direction, the nodes will travel forward and carry the energy with them. However, if the speakers have a 180 degree phase difference, the reflected sound may either be a reflection from the wall or a sound that came through the wall. When the speakers are aligned with the wall, the energy may not actually cross that plane and the energy flow may be completely tangential.
AlienFarmer
2 sound waves that are mathematical polarities cancel each other out according to my audio engineering book. I thought energy cannot be destroyed, just changed. Am I wrong? What happens to the energy? Same question could be applied to matter and anti matter right?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlienFarmer said:
2 sound waves that are mathematical polarities cancel each other out according to my audio engineering book. I thought energy cannot be destroyed, just changed. Am I wrong? What happens to the energy?
Two opposite polarity waves only cancel out at special points, such as the point exactly halfway in between the speakers. At other locations (e.g. 1/2 a wavelength closer to one speaker) they don't cancel out, they add! That is where the energy goes.

Dale said:
Two opposite polarity waves only cancel out at special points, such as the point exactly halfway in between the speakers. At other locations (e.g. 1/2 a wavelength closer to one speaker) they don't cancel out, they add! That is where the energy goes.
How about if we take it closer to a limit where the cancellation happens over several wavelengths of distance? Say we have two speakers located side-by-side pointing in the same direction, and driving a sound sine wave out of phase. On their axis it would seem that they would cancel out pretty well for some distance. How does the energy make it across that distance?

I know that for waves on a string where there are nodes, the energy is transferred by the tension in the string, and not by the displacement. Is it something similar with sound wave cancellation over s distance?

berkeman said:
How about if we take it closer to a limit where the cancellation happens over several wavelengths of distance? Say we have two speakers located side-by-side pointing in the same direction, and driving a sound sine wave out of phase. On their axis it would seem that they would cancel out pretty well for some distance. How does the energy make it across that distance?
Dale's point should still hold here. There will be alternating points throughout the space in front of the speakers where the waves interfere constructively and destructively. Adjusting the phase of one of the speaker outputs will just shift the interference pattern over by some distance.

I should also point out that these nodes are not stationary but will travel forward from the speakers carrying the energy along with them.

Last edited:
berkeman said:

I know that for waves on a string where there are nodes, the energy is transferred by the tension in the string, and not by the displacement. Is it something similar with sound wave cancellation over s distance?
If two speakers send an identical short pulse of sound onto a paper wall from opposite sides of the wall, the sounds get reflected from the wall, right? (Because the wall does not move, it's equivalent to a lead wall) The reflected sound is identical to the sound that would be there if only the other speaker produced a sound.

What happens if the sounds are otherwise identical, but there is 180 degree phase difference?

I think that there is a sound that could either be a reflection from the paper with a 180 degrees phase shift, or it could be a sound that came through the wall.

Now let us align the speakers with the wall. If the wall reflects sound waves to the right, the energy of the sound waves gets reflected to the right.

berkeman said:
How does the energy make it across that distance?
I have not actually run these computations, but it may be in fact that energy does not cross that plane. The energy flow may be completely tangential on that plane.

Related to Inverse phase sound wave where does energy go?

1. What is an inverse phase sound wave?

An inverse phase sound wave occurs when the compression and rarefaction phases of a sound wave are reversed, meaning that the areas of high and low pressure are inverted. This can result in cancellation of the original sound wave.

2. How is energy affected by an inverse phase sound wave?

An inverse phase sound wave can cause energy to be redirected or redirected from its original source. In some cases, the energy may be completely canceled out, resulting in no detectable sound.

3. Where does the energy go in an inverse phase sound wave?

The energy from an inverse phase sound wave is typically transferred to surrounding areas or materials. It can also be absorbed by objects in its path, resulting in a decrease in amplitude and intensity of the sound wave.

4. Is an inverse phase sound wave always harmful?

No, an inverse phase sound wave is not always harmful. In some cases, it can be used in noise-cancelling technology to reduce unwanted noise. However, in certain situations, such as in an enclosed space, it can result in a buildup of energy and cause damage to structures or materials.

5. How can an inverse phase sound wave be controlled or manipulated?

An inverse phase sound wave can be controlled or manipulated through the use of sound reflecting or absorbing materials, or through the use of specialized technology such as noise-cancelling headphones. In some cases, it can also be controlled through careful design and placement of sound sources and barriers to prevent unwanted interference.