Science Fair Project: Ice Cube Properties & Flicking Distance

In summary, Chelsea is seeking help for her science fair project which involves studying the properties of an ice cube, both physical and chemical. Specifically, she is trying to determine if the mass/weight of an ice cube affects its "flicking" distance. She clarifies that she meant to say mass instead of "madd" and asks for assistance in determining the density and volume of an ice cube. It is noted that there are multiple phases of water ice and the density is usually reported to be 0.92 g/cm^3. However, it is not possible to give a single volume for ice as it depends on the size of the cube. Another student in the seventh grade shares that in order to find the density, the
chelsea
for my science fair project, i need to know the properties of an ice cube (physical and chemical). I am trying to see if the madd/weight of an ice cube effects its "flicking" distance. don't ask. :)

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by chelsea
madd/weight

please help!

Do you mean MASS/weight

If not what does "madd" mean?

Originally posted by chelsea

please help!

How? What question are you asking?

One observation you can verify about water ice is that, unlike many other substances, water ice is less dense than liquid water. That is, 10 grams of water take up less space than 10 grams of ice. This is why the tops of lakes freeze first and you can ice skate on them while other creatures still live underneath. A fact, it has been suggested, that played some small role in allowing life to form on Earth in the first place.

i ment mass! lol, sorry!

im asking if anyone knows like the density of an ice cube, teh volume, stuff like that. I don't know if the volume would change with the size of the ice cube so, i don't think that one would be answerable. still though, what's the density of an ice cube?

**note, I am in 7th grade so...you might not get what I am saying. I am bad at science **

There are actually about a dozen different phases of water ice. However, the density of water ice is usually reported to be (approximately) 0.92 g/cm^3. Notably, this is less than the density of liquid water.

It does not make sense to ask for "the" volume of ice. Volume is an extrinsic property. That is, there is not one single value that can be quoted -- it depends on how much you have. You can make a one cubic centimeter ice cube or a one cubic meter ice block. Contrast this with density, which always stays the same regardless of "how much" you have (density is an intrinsic property)

chelsea said:
im asking if anyone knows like the density of an ice cube, teh volume, stuff like that. I don't know if the volume would change with the size of the ice cube so, i don't think that one would be answerable. still though, what's the density of an ice cube?

**note, I am in 7th grade so...you might not get what I am saying. I am bad at science **

hi chelsea, i am also in the seventh grade. in order to find out the density of the cube yhu have to divide the mass frm the volume.. and the volume depends on the size of the cube so really yhu would need like i forgot the name of those scales tey use at the pediatric center.. yea so all cubes have different volumes.. so when yhu find ut the volume divide it frm the mass and yhu will have your density..

chelsea said:

btw i found out the volume of a cube it is 15.625 cm3... yep that's it now just divide that with the mass..

lmaoo sorry about the confusion..

My question:
When I remove enough heat from water in my freezer at home using metal ice cube trays, I get water in it's solid form: Ice
That ice , left long enough in the same trays evaporates , why

Freezer temp remains the same, pressure the same, but given enough time all of the ice will be gone

Last edited:
ct2 said:
My question:
When I remove enough heat from water in my freezer at home using metal ice cube trays, I get water in it's solid form: Ice
That ice , left long enough in the same trays evaporates , why

Freezer temp remains the same, pressure the same, but given enough time all of the ice will be gone

Ice will evaporate if the partial pressure of water vapor in the gas phase is less than the equilibrium vapor pressure of water ice at the specified temperature. The relative humidity is defined as the ratio of the water vapor partial pressure in the gas phase to the equilibrium vapor pressure (times 100%). If the relative humidity in the gas is less than 100%, water ice (as well as liquid water at higher temperatures) will evaporate. Have you ever noticed that water ice and snow evaporate during winter? This evaporation occurs for the same reason that liquid water evaporates at higher temperatures (e.g., during summer).

What is the purpose of a science fair project on ice cube properties and flicking distance?

The purpose of this science fair project is to explore the relationship between the physical properties of ice cubes (such as size, shape, and temperature) and how far they can be flicked across a surface. This project allows students to practice the scientific method and learn about the properties of matter in a fun and engaging way.

What materials are needed for this science fair project?

The materials needed for this project include ice cubes of different sizes and shapes, a measuring tape, a thermometer, a flat surface, and a stopwatch. Optional materials may include different types of surfaces to flick the ice cubes on, such as carpet, tile, or grass.

What is the procedure for conducting this science fair project?

The procedure for this project involves first collecting different sizes and shapes of ice cubes and measuring their dimensions. Then, the temperature of each ice cube should be recorded. Next, the ice cubes should be flicked across a flat surface and the distance they travel should be measured. This process should be repeated multiple times for each ice cube and surface. Finally, the data should be analyzed to determine any patterns or relationships between the ice cube properties and flicking distance.

What are some potential variables that could affect the results of this project?

Some potential variables that could affect the results of this project include the size and shape of the ice cubes, the temperature of the ice cubes, the surface on which the ice cubes are flicked, and the force used to flick the ice cubes. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate and reliable results.

How can the results of this science fair project be applied in real life?

The results of this project can be applied in real life by helping us understand the physics of how objects move and how surface properties can affect this movement. This knowledge can be useful in fields such as engineering, sports, and everyday activities. For example, understanding how the properties of a surface affect the movement of an object can help in designing more efficient and safer transportation systems or in choosing the best surface for a particular sport.