Help for College Anatomy Course Needed

In summary: Flash cards? If what you have to do is be able to recover the rote memory based on a clue, reading and rereading isn't going to build the required links in your memory.Originally posted by selfAdjoint Flash cards? If what you have to do is be able to recover the rote memory based on a clue, reading and rereading isn't going to build the required links in your memory. College level anatomy is not that intense or difficult. Trust me, if she takes the time to read the chapters a couple of times - she will be fine. Most peoples problems are that they take notes for the teacher and study the notes and don't
megashawn
Science Advisor
I realize this is probably not the right place, but I didn't notice and anatomy section. Anyhow, I figured it would fit in biology.

Well, I have a friend in a Nursing program and she is having a bit of trouble in class. She is to the point where she has to score atleast 88 on her last 3 tests to pass the course.

I know a lil bit about the subject, but its been a while for me. I was just curious if anyone knew of some information readily availible to help with a college level anatomy course?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by megashawn
I realize this is probably not the right place, but I didn't notice and anatomy section. Anyhow, I figured it would fit in biology.

Well, I have a friend in a Nursing program and she is having a bit of trouble in class. She is to the point where she has to score atleast 88 on her last 3 tests to pass the course.

I know a lil bit about the subject, but its been a while for me. I was just curious if anyone knew of some information readily availible to help with a college level anatomy course?

Thanks.

OK, so I never took an anatomy course but I had a couple of friends complain to be about it. Apparently it's all about memorization. You're just given hundreds of different names for all the weird little parts of the body that you have to memorize. So any of the old tricks for memorization could probably help in an anatomy course, pnemonic devices for instance.

Unfortantly, it is not about finding help. It is all about time you put into it. It is not a subject, where you can learn a concept and complete and entire test based on those concepts. It is about, sitting down and reading the chapter, then sitting down and reading it again, then again, ect... You see where I am going with this?

Some people can sit down and read an anatomy chapter once and know it, but for some it may take 10 or 11 times. If your friend truly wants to be a nurse, she will find a way.

An besides, does she realize how important A and P is for nursing students?

Nautica

Flash cards? If what you have to do is be able to recover the rote memory based on a clue, reading and rereading isn't going to build the required links in your memory.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Flash cards? If what you have to do is be able to recover the rote memory based on a clue, reading and rereading isn't going to build the required links in your memory.

College level anatomy is not that intense or difficult. Trust me, if she takes the time to read the chapters a couple of times - she will be fine. Most peoples problems are that they take notes for the teacher and study the notes and don't even look at the book. If that is the case, then you are getting a watered down version of the book.

Dump the notes and read the book.

Nautica

What is the best way to study for a college anatomy course?

The best way to study for a college anatomy course is to first attend all lectures and take thorough notes. Then, review your notes regularly and actively engage with the material by creating flashcards, diagrams, or teaching the material to someone else. Additionally, practicing with practice exams or quizzes can help you identify any areas that need extra attention.

What resources are available for help with a college anatomy course?

There are many resources available for help with a college anatomy course. Many universities have tutoring services specifically for anatomy courses, and there are also online resources such as study guides, interactive quizzes, and video lectures. Additionally, your professor may have office hours or be available for one-on-one help.

How can I improve my memorization skills for anatomy?

To improve your memorization skills for anatomy, try using mnemonic devices, which are memory aids that use associations to help you remember information. Also, make sure to review material regularly instead of cramming, as this helps with retention. Finally, create visual aids such as diagrams or charts to help you visualize and remember complex information.

What are some effective study strategies for anatomy lab exams?

For anatomy lab exams, it is important to actively engage with the material by attending lab sessions and taking thorough notes. Additionally, practicing with lab exercises and using flashcards or diagrams to review structures can be helpful. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and relationships between structures rather than just memorizing isolated facts.

How can I manage my time effectively for a college anatomy course?

To manage your time effectively for a college anatomy course, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your studying by identifying which topics or areas you need to focus on the most. Also, make sure to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge. Don’t wait until the last minute to study, and try to break up your studying into smaller, manageable chunks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.