Inverse gamma distribution & simulated annealing problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of sampling an inverse gamma distribution that is scaled using a temperature variable T. The scaled version of the distribution is also proportional to a new inverse gamma distribution with different parameters. However, for temperatures T>a+1, the parameters of the new distribution become negative, making it impossible to draw samples. The speaker suggests using a transformation of a gamma variate to solve the problem, but notes that the same temperature scaling applied to a gamma distribution yields a different result. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for suggestions on how to resolve this discrepancy.
tbishop
I've hit a problem trying to sample an inverse gamma distribution, 'scaled' using a temperature variable, T. If my distribution is defined as (where the normalising constant k=(b^a)/Gamma(a) ):
IG(x|a,b) = k * x^(-a-1) * exp(-b/x)
then the scaled version is
(IG(x|a,b))^(1/T) = k^(1/T) * x^(-(-a+1)/T) * exp(-b/(Tx)).
which I want to sample as part of a simulated annealing procedure.

If I am not mistaken, this is also proportional to a new IG distribution, IG(x|a',b')
where a'+1 = (a+1)/T and b'=b/T. Hence a' = (a+1-T)/T.
The problem is however, that a' and b' should be strictly > 0 for the distribution to be valid. Thus for temperatures T>a+1, a' becomes negative and the samples can't be drawn.
(However I can still evaluate the IG pdf for a'<0... so I'm not sure
why the condition is strictly necessary? Is it just a physical
interpretation?)

I can do the sampling for X~IG(a',b') by transformation of a Gamma variate
G(x|a,b)=k * x^(a-1) exp(-bx)
by drawing Y~G(a',b') and letting X=1/Y.

Now the strange thing is if I apply the same temperature scaling to the Gamma distribution, I get the new transformation to a Gamma distribution with
a' = (a-1+T)/T
which will always be positive for all T>=1 if a>0. As whether I'm working with x or 1/x (and therefore working with the IG or Gamma) should be purely a matter of convenience, and not depend on which definition I start from, there is something at odds here...

I've probably missed something obvious but I can't think what it is. Any suggestions appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am somewhat unclear as to why you'd like to scale the pdf in the way you described. The usual approach is to scale the random variable itself, say Y = sX for a scaling constant s > 0; and if X ~ Gamma(a, b) then Y ~ Gamma(a, sb).

In the usual meaning of "scaling," parameter a is not affected because it is not a scaling parameter -- parameter b is.

I am somewhat unclear as to why you'd like to scale the pdf in the way you described. The usual approach is to scale the random variable itself, say Y = sX for a scaling constant s > 0; and if X ~ Gamma(a, b) then Y ~ Gamma(a, sb).

In the usual meaning of "scaling," parameter a is not affected because it is not a scaling parameter -- parameter b is.

I'm not referring to this normal type of "scaling", I'm referring to raising the whole distribution to a power 1/T which effectively "broadens" the distribution. In the case of a Gaussian, the effect is indeed simply to increase the variance. The reason I want to do this is to increase convergence rates in MCMC, by searching the space faster using http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SimulatedAnnealing.html" )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Inverse gamma distribution & simulated annealing problem

1. What is the inverse gamma distribution?

The inverse gamma distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is often used to model the distribution of positive values. It is the inverse of the gamma distribution, meaning that it is the distribution of the reciprocal of values drawn from the gamma distribution. It is commonly used in Bayesian statistics and can be described by two parameters: shape and scale.

2. How is the inverse gamma distribution related to simulated annealing?

Inverse gamma distribution is often used in simulated annealing as the probability distribution for the energy of a system. Simulated annealing is a heuristic optimization algorithm that is inspired by the process of annealing in metallurgy. The inverse gamma distribution is used to model the energy levels of the system, and this helps in determining the probability of accepting a new solution during the optimization process.

3. What is the significance of using simulated annealing with inverse gamma distribution?

The combination of simulated annealing with the inverse gamma distribution allows for more efficient and effective optimization. It helps in finding the global optimum solution by exploring the solution space in a probabilistic manner. The use of inverse gamma distribution also allows for better control over the trade-off between exploration and exploitation during the optimization process.

4. How is the inverse gamma distribution parameterized in simulated annealing?

The inverse gamma distribution is typically parameterized by using the shape and scale parameters, which determine the shape and spread of the distribution. In simulated annealing, these parameters are often tuned during the optimization process to improve the performance of the algorithm. This can be done by using techniques such as adaptive simulated annealing or simulated annealing with Markov chain Monte Carlo sampling.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse gamma distribution in simulated annealing?

While the inverse gamma distribution is a commonly used probability distribution in simulated annealing, it may not always be the most suitable choice for every problem. In some cases, other distributions such as the beta distribution or the normal distribution may be more appropriate. Additionally, the performance of simulated annealing with inverse gamma distribution can be affected by the choice of the initial parameters and the acceptance function used in the algorithm.