Inverse Functions Homework: Find f^-1, g^-1, Show f^-1 f=x

In summary, the conversation involves finding the inverse functions for the given functions f and g, and determining their domain of definition. The next part involves showing that the inverse of each function is the identity function. Lastly, the composite function gf x is to be found and its range stated. The inverse functions are found to be 1/2(x-ln3) and 1/3(lnx), and the identity function is shown to be the inverse of each function. The use of 'log' or 'ln' is interchangeable.
kingstar

Homework Statement

5. (a) The functions f and g are defined by
f : x|→ 2x + ln3 (x is a real number)
g : x|→ e^3x (x is a real number)

i) Find f^-1(x) and g^-1(x) and state their domain of definition

ii) Show that f^-1 f = f f^-1 = x (x is a real number)

iii) Find the composite function gf x( )and state the range.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i worked out the inverse for each.

f^-1(x) = 1/2(x-ln3)
g^-1(x) = 1/3(lnx)

But for part two I'm not sure what this means, does it mean that i should sub my inverse function into my original function and then vice versa?

Also when i double checked my answer, it has log's in place of my ln's. Was i meant to use log instead of ln? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
kingstar said:

Homework Statement

5. (a) The functions f and g are defined by
f : x|→ 2x + ln3 (x is a real number)
g : x|→ e^3x (x is a real number)

i) Find f^-1(x) and g^-1(x) and state their domain of definition

ii) Show that f^-1 f = f f^-1 = x (x is a real number)

iii) Find the composite function gf x( )and state the range.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i worked out the inverse for each.

f^-1(x) = 1/2(x-ln3)
g^-1(x) = 1/3(lnx)

But for part two I'm not sure what this means, does it mean that i should sub my inverse function into my original function and then vice versa?

Also when i double checked my answer, it has log's in place of my ln's. Was i meant to use log instead of ln? :S

Yes. That's exactly what it means. You should get x for both answers, that's the identity function. And here 'log' and 'ln' mean the same thing. 'log' can be used if you are talking about any base. If you want to be specific then you need to indicate the base, i.e. ##log_2##. 'ln' is ##log_e##.

Thanks.

Related to Inverse Functions Homework: Find f^-1, g^-1, Show f^-1 f=x

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that reverses the operation of another function. It essentially "undoes" the original function.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This can be done algebraically or graphically.

3. What is the notation for an inverse function?

The notation for an inverse function is f-1, read as "f inverse". It is written after the original function, such as f-1(x).

4. How do you show the composition of a function and its inverse?

To show the composition of a function and its inverse, you can use the notation f-1 f(x), which means "f inverse of f of x". This will result in the input x being returned.

5. What is the importance of inverse functions?

Inverse functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations and understand the relationships between different functions. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.