Inverse Functions and "Verifying"

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem set and the asker's doubts about their answers. They mention using a 3-step procedure to find the inverse function and verifying it through substitution. They also ask for help with verifying another function and solving for a specific value in a second exercise. The expert provides the steps for verifying the inverse function and confirms the correctness of the solution for the second exercise.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_4.jpg

Alright, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with these. So here it goes:

For the first one, I did the 3-step procedure to finding the inverse: write y=f(x), solve for x and y, then interchange variables. Ultimately, this gave me: f^-1(x) = (-x-1)/(3x-2)

And to verify, I just used substitution since f(f^-1(x)) = x:

(2+3)/(6/1) = (2+3)/(6/1) [Is this even remotely correct? I just substituted the corresponding values.]

As for verifying "f^-1 (f(x)) = x, I have no idea how to go about doing this. Do I just substituted the original function in the left hand side into the inverse function?

As for the second question, for 2a, I got t= -a*ln(1-(Q/Qo)) by switching variables to get the inverse and solving for t.

As for question 2b, I assumed that Q/Qo = 0.9 for 90%. Therefore, since a=2, I could substitute that value into the function, giving me:

t= -2ln(1-0.9)
t= 4.6 seconds needed to recharge the battery to 90%.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:Alright, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with these. So here it goes:

For the first one, I did the 3-step procedure to finding the inverse: write y=f(x), solve for x and y, then interchange variables. Ultimately, this gave me: f^-1(x) = (-x-1)/(3x-2)

And to verify, I just used substitution since f(f^-1(x)) = x:

(2+3)/(6/1) = (2+3)/(6/1) [Is this even remotely correct? I just substituted the corresponding values.]

As for verifying "f^-1 (f(x)) = x, I have no idea how to go about doing this. Do I just substituted the original function in the left hand side into the inverse function?

As for the second question, for 2a, I got t= -a*ln(1-(Q/Qo)) by switching variables to get the inverse and solving for t.

As for question 2b, I assumed that Q/Qo = 0.9 for 90%. Therefore, since a=2, I could substitute that value into the function, giving me:

t= -2ln(1-0.9)
t= 4.6 seconds needed to recharge the battery to 90%.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The inverse function is correct!

To verify that $f(f^{-1}(x)) = x$ :

$$f(f^{-1}(x))=f \left ( \frac{-x-1}{3x-2} \right )=\frac{2 \left (\frac{-x-1}{3x-2} \right )-1}{3\left (\frac{-x-1}{3x-2} \right )+1}=\frac{\frac{-2x-2-3x+2}{3x-2}}{\frac{-3x-3+3x-2}{3x-2}}=\frac{\frac{-5x}{3x-2}}{\frac{-5}{3x-2}}=\frac{-5x}{-5}=x$$

To verify that $f^{-1} (f(x)) = x$ :

$$f^{-1} (f(x))=f^{-1} \left ( \frac{2x-1}{3x+1} \right )=\frac{-\left ( \frac{2x-1}{3x+1} \right )-1}{3\left ( \frac{2x-1}{3x+1} \right )-2}=\frac{\frac{-2x+1-3x-1}{3x+1}}{\frac{6x-3-6x-2}{3x+1}}=\frac{-5x}{-5}=x$$As for the second exercise:

$$Q(t)=Q_0 \left (1-e^{-\frac{t}{a}} \right ) \Rightarrow \frac{Q(t)}{Q_0}=1-e^{-\frac{t}{a}} \Rightarrow e^{-\frac{t}{a}}=1-\frac{Q(t)}{Q_0} \Rightarrow -\frac{t}{a}=\ln{ \left | 1-\frac{Q(t)}{Q_0} \right |} \\ \Rightarrow t=-a \cdot \ln{ \left | 1-\frac{Q(t)}{Q_0} \right |}$$

Your solution for the question $2b$ seems correct to me!

Related to Inverse Functions and "Verifying"

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) takes an input x and produces an output y, the inverse function g(y) takes y as an input and produces x as an output.

How do I find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function, which can be represented as f^-1(x).

How do I verify if two functions are inverses of each other?

To verify if two functions are inverses, you can use the composition method. Plug one function into the other and if the result is x, then the two functions are inverses of each other. Another way is to graph both functions and see if they reflect over the line y=x.

What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of the inverse function is the domain of the original function. This is because the inputs and outputs are switched in an inverse function.

Can every function have an inverse?

No, not every function has an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. If a function is not one-to-one, then it does not have an inverse.