Inverse Function Theorem for One Real Variable

In summary, Peter is reading Manfred Stoll's book "Introduction to Real Analysis" and needs help understanding Stoll's proof of the Inverse Function Theorem (IFT) for real-valued functions of one real variable. Stoll's statement of the IFT for Derivatives and its proof involve the continuity of $f^{-1}$, which is necessary to guarantee that the limit of $f^{-1}(y_n)$ is equal to $f^{-1}(y_0)$. Peter asks for clarification on this and Fallen Angel explains the importance of continuity in the proof.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Manfred Stoll's book: Introduction to Real Analysis.

I need help with Stoll's proof of the Inverse Function Theorem (IFT) for real-valued functions of one real variable.

Stoll's statement of the IFT for Derivatives and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 3934

In the above proof we read:

" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle f^{-1}\) is continuous, \(\displaystyle x_n \rightarrow x_0 = f^{-1} (y_0)\) ... ... "I do not understand what Stoll means by this statement ... indeed it may be a 'typo' ... and if it is, what did he mean to say ...

Worse still for my understanding of this proof I cannot see where the continuity of \(\displaystyle f^{-1}\) is required in the proof of:

\(\displaystyle ( f^{-1} )' (y_0) = \frac{1}{f' (x_0 )} \)Can someone please help clarify the above situation?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Continuity is needed, it's not a typo.

He tries to prove that $f^{-1}(y_0)=x_0$

For any real valued continuous (at $a$) function $h$ and any sequence $\{a_n \}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}$ with limit $a$ we got that $\underset{n \to \infty}\lim h(a_{n})=h(\underset{n \to \infty}\lim a_{n})=h(a)$, which is not true (in general) for non continuous functions (at $a$).

So he needs continuity to guarantee that $\underset{n\to \infty}\lim f^{-1}(y_{n})=f^{-1}(y_{0})$

Peter said:
I am reading Manfred Stoll's book: Introduction to Real Analysis.

I need help with Stoll's proof of the Inverse Function Theorem (IFT) for real-valued functions of one real variable.

Stoll's statement of the IFT for Derivatives and its proof read as follows:In the above proof we read:

" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle f^{-1}\) is continuous, \(\displaystyle x_n \rightarrow x_0 = f^{-1} (y_0)\) ... ... "I do not understand what Stoll means by this statement ... indeed it may be a 'typo' ... and if it is, what did he mean to say ...

Worse still for my understanding of this proof I cannot see where the continuity of \(\displaystyle f^{-1}\) is required in the proof of:

\(\displaystyle ( f^{-1} )' (y_0) = \frac{1}{f' (x_0 )} \)Can someone please help clarify the above situation?

Peter

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

Continuity is needed, it's not a typo.

He tries to prove that $f^{-1}(y_0)=x_0$

For any real valued continuous (at $a$) function $h$ and any sequence $\{a_n \}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}$ with limit $a$ we got that $\underset{n \to \infty}\lim h(a_{n})=h(\underset{n \to \infty}\lim a_{n})=h(a)$, which is not true (in general) for non continuous functions (at $a$).

So he needs continuity to guarantee that $\underset{n\to \infty}\lim f^{-1}(y_{n})=f^{-1}(y_{0})$
Thanks for the help, Fallen Angel ... appreciate your support ...

Peter

Related to Inverse Function Theorem for One Real Variable

1. What is the Inverse Function Theorem for One Real Variable?

The Inverse Function Theorem for One Real Variable is a mathematical theorem that states if a function is continuously differentiable and has a non-zero derivative at a point, then the function has an inverse function in a neighborhood of that point. This means that the original function and its inverse can be "undone" to find the original input value.

2. Why is the Inverse Function Theorem important?

The Inverse Function Theorem is important because it allows us to find the inverse of a function in a neighborhood of a point, which can be useful in solving equations and understanding the behavior of functions. It also has applications in physics and engineering, such as in solving differential equations.

3. How is the Inverse Function Theorem related to the Chain Rule?

The Inverse Function Theorem is closely related to the Chain Rule, as it is a consequence of the Chain Rule. The Chain Rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of its individual functions. The Inverse Function Theorem uses this idea to show that the derivative of the inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function.

4. Can the Inverse Function Theorem be applied to multivariable functions?

Yes, the Inverse Function Theorem can be extended to multivariable functions. In this case, the theorem states that if a function has a non-zero Jacobian determinant at a point, then the function has a local inverse in a neighborhood of that point. The Jacobian determinant is a generalization of the derivative for multivariable functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Inverse Function Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Inverse Function Theorem. The theorem only applies to continuously differentiable functions, which means that the function must have a continuous derivative. Additionally, the theorem only guarantees the existence of a local inverse, not a global one. This means that the inverse function may only exist in a certain region around the point, and not for all possible input values.