Inverse function of a parabola

In summary, from a graph of a function g(x)= 1/3(x-2)^2 -3 b (x in [2:5]) we can see that g is a one-to-one function with an image set of [-3;0]. Therefore, the function g has an inverse function g^-1. To find the rule of g^-1, we can solve the equation y=g(x)=1/3(x-2)^2 -3 for x in terms of y. However, the steps taken to solve the equation in the conversation were incorrect. The correct solution is x=2+sqrt(3(y+3)).
fatou123
from a graph of a function ( i obtained the graphg by doing a translation and y-scaling) g(x)= 1/3(x-2)^2 -3 b (x in [2:5]) i can see that g is increasing and so it is a one-one function and an image set is [-3;0]. so therefore the function g has an universe function g^-1 .

so i can find the rule of g^-1 by solving this equations:

y=g(x)=1/3 (x-2)^2 -3

to obtain x in term of y

i have y=1/3(x-2)^2 -3 that is x= +or-3sqrt-1/9 - 1/3y is this right ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the whole point of being "one-to-one" is that you have one value, not two.
Unfortunately, you didn't show HOW you solve for x so I can't comment but that surely does not look right! (It's hard to be sure since you don't use parentheses to show what you really mean.) You are correct that when x= 2, y= -3. If you take y= -3 in the formula you give, do you get x= 0? When you take x= 5, y= g(5)= 0. When you take y= 0 in your equation, do you get x= 5?

If y= (1/3)(x-2)^2- 3 with x between 2 and 5, then y+ 3= (1/3)(x-2)^2, (x-2)^2= 3(y+3) x-2= sqrt(3(y+3)) and finally x= 2+ sqrt(3(y+3)). The PLUS is used rather than the MINUS because x must be larger than 2. Finally, don't forget to write the solution itself:
g-1(x)= 2+ sqrt(3(x+3)).

thank hallsofivy you have just confirm what i though that theyr were something wrong in my result =.

i tackle this equation by comoleting thr squares of a quadratic equations,and i think this is where i got confused by the two result i was looking for! lol
the domain of g(x) is given to us as x in [2;5] so i can't really argue this.

i solved the g^-1 by rearranging g(x)

y=1/3(x-2)^2 -3 , 1/3(x-2)^2=-3-y , (x-2)^2= -1/9-1/3y, x-3= SQRT-1/9-1/3y hence
x=3 SQRT-1/3-1/3y

thank you again i undersrtood were i got wrong in this it was quite obvious really lol

fatou123 said:
thank hallsofivy you have just confirm what i though that theyr were something wrong in my result =.

i tackle this equation by comoleting thr squares of a quadratic equations,and i think this is where i got confused by the two result i was looking for! lol
the domain of g(x) is given to us as x in [2;5] so i can't really argue this.

i solved the g^-1 by rearranging g(x)

y=1/3(x-2)^2 -3 , 1/3(x-2)^2=-3-y
This first step is incorrect.

, (x-2)^2= -1/9-1/3y, x-3= SQRT-1/9-1/3y hence
x=3 SQRT-1/3-1/3y

thank you again i undersrtood were i got wrong in this it was quite obvious really lol

Related to Inverse function of a parabola

What is the inverse function of a parabola?

The inverse function of a parabola is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between a parabola and its input and output values. It is the function that "undoes" the original parabola function.

How is the inverse function of a parabola different from the original function?

The inverse function of a parabola is essentially the opposite of the original function. While the original function maps input values to output values, the inverse function maps output values back to their corresponding input values.

Can every parabola have an inverse function?

No, not every parabola has an inverse function. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that for every horizontal line on the graph, there can only be one point of intersection. Parabolas that open upwards or downwards do not pass this test and therefore do not have an inverse function.

How do you find the inverse function of a parabola?

To find the inverse function of a parabola, you can use algebraic manipulation to switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the equation of the inverse function. Alternatively, you can also graph the original parabola and use reflection over the line y=x to find the inverse function.

What are some real-life applications of inverse functions of parabolas?

Inverse functions of parabolas can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as in physics to model the motion of a projectile, in engineering to design curved structures, and in economics to analyze the relationship between price and demand for a product. They can also be used in optimization problems, where the inverse function helps find the input value that produces the maximum or minimum output value.