Inverse Funcation of Relativistic mass

In summary, the conversation discussed the relativistic mass equation and its relationship to speed. It was noted that as speed approaches light speed, relativistic mass decreases while rest mass remains constant. The inverse equation was also mentioned, which is a reflection of the original equation. However, there were discrepancies in the equation and it was suggested to solve for velocity instead of mass.
Uncle6
The relativistic mass equation shows the relationship between relativistic mass and speed. Basically showing that the closer u get to light speed the less relativistic mass you have, but ur rest mass will be the same.

I was asked by my friend what the inverse of that formula means.

Thus I took the original equation and came up with the inverse: m = sqrt(c^2-(m0c^2/v)^2)

I also looked at the graph of the original and the inverse would just be a reflection about y=x.

I still can't interpret it. Any hints/ help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uncle6 said:
The relativistic mass equation shows the relationship between relativistic mass and speed.

Do you mean

[tex]m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

Basically showing that the closer u get to light speed the less relativistic mass you have, but ur rest mass will be the same.

Don't you mean "more relativistic mass" (not "less")?

Thus I took the original equation and came up with the inverse: m = sqrt(c^2-(m0c^2/v)^2)

You must have made a mistake in your algebra somewhere. The units of the various quantities don't work out consistently in that equation. Also, if you started with the equation I gave above, an "inverse" equation would not start with "m =" but with "v =".

I switched m for v and isolated for m

We were supposed to guess that the relativistic mass in your equation was actually a velocity!? :confused: It's always a bad idea to change the meaning of the symbols without telling anyone.

If you solve the equation in jtbell's post for v, you get

[tex]v=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m_0^2}{m^2}}=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m_0^2c^4}{E^2}}[/tex]

where E=mc2 is the energy. Note that v→c when E→∞.

Related to Inverse Funcation of Relativistic mass

1. What is the concept of inverse function of relativistic mass?

The inverse function of relativistic mass is a mathematical concept used to describe the relationship between the mass of a moving object and its velocity. It is based on the theory of relativity, which states that an object's mass increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

2. How is the inverse function of relativistic mass calculated?

The inverse function of relativistic mass can be calculated using the formula m = m0/√(1-v2/c2), where m0 is the rest mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the inverse function of relativistic mass in physics?

The inverse function of relativistic mass is significant in physics as it allows scientists to accurately calculate the mass of an object at high velocities. It also helps to explain the behavior of particles at high energies, such as those in particle accelerators.

4. Does the inverse function of relativistic mass have any practical applications?

Yes, the inverse function of relativistic mass has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and particle physics. It is also used in the design of high-speed vehicles, such as spacecraft, where the effects of relativity on mass cannot be ignored.

5. Is the inverse function of relativistic mass a commonly used concept in scientific research?

Yes, the inverse function of relativistic mass is a commonly used concept in scientific research, particularly in the field of high energy physics. It is also a key component in the theory of special relativity, which has been extensively studied and tested by scientists over the years.