Inverse Faraday Cage: Containing Magnetic Fields?

In summary, using a Faraday cage to contain magnetic fields can be tricky, as strong fields will saturate it. However, using a power bus with circuits controlled by Triacs can help to prevent noise from entering the microphone.
Lancelot59
Well we can use a Faraday Cage to keep magnetic fields from entering a certain area, but I was wondering if the same method could work for containing magnetic fields.

I know we use metal cores to concentrate magnetic fields, but is there a way to actually trap them?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mean a Faraday cage for electric fields.
Yes you can make a shield from a low permeability metal to contain a magnetic field, the alloy used is called mu-metal. Although in practice it's trickier and not always as effective.

Last edited:
Yes, electric fields. My bad.

What makes this trickier then a regular faraday cage?

Strong fields will saturate it.
You have to make the screen almost air-tight to stop any fields leaking in (as you do with a Faraday cage) but any machining, hammering, cold-working of the metal will lose it's permeability so you need very careful handling and lots of re-annealing.

A Faraday cage (e.g., copper screen or sheets) is good for dc and ac electric fields, and for only ac magnetic fields (in electromagnetic radiation). Mu-metal, often in separated layers, is required for dc and low frequency ac magnetic fields. Because of its very high mu, mu-metal is saturated by low B fields (longitudinal) and H fields (transverse), so layer(s) of soft iron are needed to reduce high B fields.

That does seem a bit trickier.

I ask because I have plans for a few summer projects to keep myself amused. One if them is a stereo system, and I want to isolate as much noise from the power supply as I can.

I figure instead of building a cage around the rest of the system to keep fields out, why not just trap the fields in the power supply?

Another is a Power bus that has circuits controlled by Triacs, and I want to keep the fields trapped in the power cords, and the device itself so that noise doesn't enter my microphone when I record.

Lancelot59 said:
That does seem a bit trickier.

I ask because I have plans for a few summer projects to keep myself amused. One if them is a stereo system, and I want to isolate as much noise from the power supply as I can.

I figure instead of building a cage around the rest of the system to keep fields out, why not just trap the fields in the power supply?

Another is a Power bus that has circuits controlled by Triacs, and I want to keep the fields trapped in the power cords, and the device itself so that noise doesn't enter my microphone when I record.
I have found that 1/r2 is a good shielding; put the power supply in another room and run dc to the stereo. I also found that using dc on the filaments of the preamp tubes (12AX7 hi-mu triodes) helped.

My amplifier design uses an IC, not tubes. Although that would be kind of cool. I like working with older technology for some reason.

Related to Inverse Faraday Cage: Containing Magnetic Fields?

What is an Inverse Faraday Cage?

An Inverse Faraday Cage is a structure designed to contain magnetic fields instead of blocking them. It is the opposite of a traditional Faraday Cage, which is designed to block electromagnetic fields.

How does an Inverse Faraday Cage work?

An Inverse Faraday Cage works by using a conductive material, such as copper, to create a closed loop that redirects the magnetic field around the outside of the cage. This prevents the magnetic field from penetrating the interior of the cage.

What are the applications of an Inverse Faraday Cage?

An Inverse Faraday Cage has various applications, including in magnetic shielding for sensitive electronic equipment, containment of magnetic fields in research and medical facilities, and in creating controlled environments for experiments and testing.

What are the benefits of using an Inverse Faraday Cage?

Using an Inverse Faraday Cage can provide protection for sensitive equipment and devices from external magnetic fields. It can also prevent interference from external magnetic fields, allowing for more accurate measurements and experiments.

Are there any limitations to an Inverse Faraday Cage?

While an Inverse Faraday Cage can be effective in containing magnetic fields, it may not completely block all magnetic fields. Additionally, it can be expensive and difficult to construct, and may require regular maintenance to ensure its effectiveness.