Inverse factorials. What are they? How to calculate?

In summary: J. L. Lagrange derived an asymptotic expansion for the inverse of the factorial function in 1779.In summary, there is no simple formula for the inverse of the factorial function, as it is a multivalued function. Some approaches for finding an approximation or inverse function have been proposed, but there is no universally accepted method.
ktoz
Hi

I was trying to solve the equation (m + n)!/m! = v for "n" and found an online calculator http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=equations&s2=solve&s3=advanced#reply" which spit out the following as a solution:

n = factorial(-1)[vm!] - m

I Googled "inverse factorial" and searched on wolfram.com and wikipedia.com but didn't find a clear answer as to what inverse factorials are, much less how to calculate them.

Factorials are so simple to calculate (1 x 2 x 3 ... x n) do inverse factorials have a similarly simple method?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Inverse factorial" is, of course, the inverse of the factorial functions: Since 1!= 1, factorial-1(1)= 1, 2!= 2 so factorial-1(2)= 2. 3!= 6 so factorial-1(6)= 3, etc. You will notice that there is no number n such that n!= 3, say, so factorial-1(3) is undefined. No, there is no simple formula- that's why the online calculator gave you the function in that form.

(0!= 1 also so the factorial has to be restricted to positive integers in order to have an inverse.)

presumably in general it would be the inverse of the gamma function.

Mathematica gives a warning
Code:
During evaluation of InverseFunction::ifun: Inverse function
are being used. Values may be lost for multivalued inverses. >>
and then proceeds to print Factorial^(-1)(n)

As it gives the same output when replacing Factorial by any (undefined) function f, I don't think there it knows a numerical inverse (let alone a closed form exists) and f^(-1) is just what it (or the online calculator) give in general when they don't know the inverse of a function.

Neither does it know an inverse of the [itex]\Gamma[/itex] function, which doesn't really surprise me.

The gamma inverse function is multivalued for a given number. So there are many different branches .
If you have mathematica you might plot the following code that i made to visualize this function:

G[u_] := 1/Gamma;

Manipulate[Quiet[ParametricPlot3D[{
Re[f[x + \[ImaginaryI] y]], Im[f[x + \[ImaginaryI] y]],
variabletype}, {x, xo, xf}, {y, yo, yf},
PlotStyle -> Opacity[.85], ColorFunction -> (Hue[#5/(2 Pi)] &),
ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
RegionFunction ->
Function[{x, y, z},
If[condition, 0 < Im[f[x + I*y]], 0 > Im[f[x + I*y]],
Im[f[x + I*y]] > -10^6]], BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 3}]]
, {{variabletype, x, ""}, {x -> "Real Part", y -> "Imaginary Part"}}
, {{f, Gamma, "Riemann surface of the inverse"}, { Gamma -> "gamma",
G -> "1/Gamma[z]"}}, {{xo, -6, "initial value of x"}, -6,
0}, {{xf, 4, "final value of x"}, 0,
6}, {{yo, -Pi, "initial value of y"}, -2 Pi,
0}, {{yf, Pi, "final value of y"}, 0,
2 Pi}, {{condition, "Show All",
"Complex Plane View"}, {True -> "Upper Part",
False -> "Lower Part", "Show all"}}]
It will give you a the continuation of gamma-1 function over the complex z plane.
It is possible to find the many different values of this function graphicaly.
On the attachement, you will see the 2 first plots are the real part , and the lasts are the imaginary part.

Attachments

• Gammainverse.jpg
    Gammainverse.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,503
The factorial does not have an inverse, since 0!=1!=1.
The gamma function also does not have an inverse.

However, by restricting the range of the factorial function (as is done for the standard trigonometric functions, sin, cos, etc.), we can define the inverse of the principal branch of the factorial function (i.e n! where n>=1). [For the gamma function with a zero imaginary value, this can also be done.]

http://mathforum.org/kb/profile.jspa?userID=4146" posted in
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=342551&tstart=0

Letting L(x) = ln((x+c)/Sqrt(2*pi)), the inverse of my gamma
approximation is

ApproxInvGamma or AIG(x) = L(x) / W(L(x) / e) + 1/2.

A precise inverse for the factorial function N! for positive integer N can
now be given by simply rounding to the nearest integer (since errors are
sufficiently small -- less than 1/2 being all that was required):

InvFact(x) = Round(AIG(x)) - 1 for x = N!

The equation uses the principal branch of the Lambert W function [the inverse function of f(x) = x*exp(x)].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Inverse factorials. What are they? How to calculate?

1. What are inverse factorials?

Inverse factorials, also known as factorial inverses, are the reciprocals of factorials. In other words, they are the numbers that, when multiplied by a factorial, yield the number 1.

2. How do you calculate inverse factorials?

To calculate an inverse factorial, you must first determine the factorial of the number you are working with. Then, divide 1 by that factorial to find the inverse factorial. For example, the inverse factorial of 6 would be 1/720, since 6! = 720.

3. What is the notation for inverse factorials?

Inverse factorials are often written as n!, where n is the number you are finding the inverse of. This notation is similar to regular factorials, which are written as n! to represent the product of all integers from 1 to n.

4. Can inverse factorials be negative?

No, inverse factorials cannot be negative. This is because factorials themselves cannot be negative, and the inverse of a negative number would result in a negative answer. Therefore, inverse factorials are always positive numbers.

5. What is the relationship between inverse factorials and factorials?

The relationship between inverse factorials and factorials can be described as the inverse, or reciprocal, relationship. In other words, the inverse factorial of n is equal to 1 divided by the factorial of n. This relationship is important in many mathematical calculations and formulas.