Comparing Forum Post/Thread Ratios

In summary, the thread ratio for the forums above this one shows that Philosophy has the highest ratio at 33.24 posts per thread, while Mathematics has the lowest at 7.41 posts per thread. This could possibly be due to the efficiency of math over language, as there is less room for debate in math with clear right and wrong answers. However, forums like Philosophy, Religion, and World Affairs tend to have more discussions and arguments due to the nature of the topics.
maximus
okay, i was a little bored so i computed the current thread to post ration for all the forums above this one.

the one with the highest ration is Philosophy, averaging out at aprox. 33.24 posts per thread! (that's including religion as a subforum)

and in last place we have Mathamatics with an all time low 7.41 average post to thread ratio.

---------

honorable mentions include: Mytics and Psuedo Sciences with an 18.22 (aprox.)

and of course General Discussion, with a 17.59!

yay!

---------

note: as i said i have not computed the forums below Gereral Disscusion, nor have i separate subforums in Philosopy and Theoretical Physics. (or this one for that matter)

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by maximus
Philosophy, 33.24 posts per thread! ...Mathamatics...7.41 average post to thread ratio.

Hmmmm. Now what could one deduce from this...hmmmm...

:wink:

Mathamatics with an all time low 7.41 average post to thread ratio.
I noticed the maths forum is one of the least active forums though I have never worked out the ratio. Perhaps it needs someone to boost its number of posts.

Originally posted by KL Kam
I noticed the maths forum is one of the least active forums though I have never worked out the ratio. Perhaps it needs someone to boost its number of posts.

Or it could be that. I was thinking that this demonstrates the efficiency of math over language.

There is a lot less to argue about in maths there is either a rite answer or a wrong answer, with philosophy there is a lot more to discuss with everyone having different opinions.

Originally posted by Andy
There is a lot less to argue about in maths there is either a rite answer or a wrong answer, with philosophy there is a lot more to discuss with everyone having different opinions.
I totally agree with you.
In philosophy people are only putting their points of view (mostly), and arguing about them or discussing about them, and that needs lot of talking !
On the other hand, in math, someone asks an answer and another one replies, normally there are no disagreements, and it only happens in some topics that some discussiong happens (BTW, i found all forums other than Philosophy, Religion and World Affairs very friendly, but those three are were all the 'battles' start !)

*Beams*

seriously, there is more to debate with philosophical issues because there are countless arguments when asking an unanswered question by the structure of science...

1. What is forum post/thread ratio?

Forum post/thread ratio is the number of forum posts divided by the number of forum threads. It is a measure of the level of engagement and activity within a forum.

2. Why is comparing forum post/thread ratio important?

Comparing forum post/thread ratio helps to understand the level of activity and engagement within a forum. It can also provide insights into the quality and relevance of discussions happening within the forum.

3. How is forum post/thread ratio calculated?

To calculate forum post/thread ratio, simply divide the total number of posts by the total number of threads within a given time period. For example, if a forum has 100 posts and 20 threads in the past month, the post/thread ratio would be 5 (100/20 = 5).

4. What is considered a high forum post/thread ratio?

A high forum post/thread ratio can vary depending on the forum's size and topic. Generally, a ratio above 5 is considered high, indicating a high level of activity and engagement within the forum. However, it is important to consider the context and compare it to other forums of similar size and topic.

5. What factors can affect forum post/thread ratio?

There are several factors that can affect forum post/thread ratio, including the size and popularity of the forum, the level of moderation, the quality of discussions, and the relevancy of topics to the forum's purpose. Additionally, the frequency and consistency of new threads and posts can also impact the ratio.