Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Invariant subspaces of representations

Carla1985

Feb 14, 2013
Let $\varrho :\mathbb{Z}\rightarrow GL_3(\mathbb{R})$ be the representation given by $\varrho (n)=A^n$ where

A=$\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 5 & -1 \\
2 & \frac{5}{2} & \frac{11}{2} \\
6 & \frac{-2}{2} & \frac{3}{2} \\
\end{pmatrix}$

Does ρ have any 1-dimensional invariant subspaces?

Do I have to divide up the elements in the representation with their corresponding eigenvectors. I know From $A^4$ the matrix is just a scaler of the previous 4, i.e. $A^4=I$, $A^5=A$ etc and their eigenvectors are the same then?

Im struggling to understand this chapter we are doing a little so any help is much appreciated.

Carla x

Last edited by a moderator:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Let $\varrho :\mathbb{Z}\rightarrow GL_3(\mathbb{R})$ be the representation given by $\varrho (n)=A^n$ where

A=$\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 5 & -1 \\
\end{pmatrix}$

Do I have to divide up the elements in the representation with their corresponding eigenvectors. I know From $A^4$ the matrix is just a scaler of the previous 4, i.e. $A^4=I$, $A^5=A$ etc and their eigenvectors are the same then?

Im struggling to understand this chapter we are doing a little so any help is much appreciated.

Carla x
Hey Carla! :)

Here's a definition from http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/2WF02/fgreps.pdf:

Let G be a finite group.
A linear representation of G is a homomorphism ρ : G → GL(V ) where GL(V ) is the group of invertable linear transformations of the vector space V.
A subspace W of V is called ρ(G)-invariant if ρ(g)W ⊆ W for all g ∈ G.

A 1-dimensional subspace of $\mathbb R^3$ would be the span of some vector $v$.
So $W = \{\mu v : \mu \in \mathbb R \}$.

What we need is that $\varrho(n)W ⊆ W$ for all $n \in \mathbb Z$.
What does this expand to for, say, $n=1$?

ILS x

Last edited:

ThePerfectHacker

Jan 26, 2012

A=$\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 5 & -1 \\
\end{pmatrix}$

Carla x
Let $G = \mathbb{Z}$ be additive group.
Let $V = \mathbb{R}^3$ be real vector space.
With linear action of $G$ on $V$ given by,
$$ n\cdot x = A^n x \text{ for }n \in G, x\in V$$

Say $W$ is a one-dimensional subspace of $V$, so $W = \left< w \right>$ is spanned by a non-zero vector in $\mathbb{R}^3$. Since $W$ is invariant under $G$ it means in particular that $1\cdot w \in W$, in other words, $Aw = kw$ for some $k\in \mathbb{R}$.

This shows that an invariant one-dimensional subspace of $V$ must be spanned by an eigenvector of $A$. Now look for the eigenvectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carla1985

Feb 14, 2013
Hey Carla! :)

Here's a definition from http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/2WF02/fgreps.pdf:
Let G be a finite group.
A linear representation of G is a homomorphism ρ : G → GL(V ) where GL(V ) is the group of invertable linear transformations of the vector space V.
A subspace W of V is called ρ(G)-invariant if ρ(g)W ⊆ W for all g ∈ G.

A 1-dimensional subspace of $\mathbb R^3$ would be the span of some vector $v$.
So $W = \{\mu v : \mu \in \mathbb R \}$.

What we need is that $\varrho(n)W ⊆ W$ for all $n \in \mathbb Z$.
What does this expand to for, say, $n=1$?

ILS x
With n=1 I have $AW⊆W$

The only eigenvector for A is (1,1,1). Does this mean my span and the invariant subspace would be W ={(x,x,x)∈R3 |x∈R}?

There are elements of the representation that don't fall into this though (every 4th element), is that ok?

Thanks, I think I'm slowly starting to understand it, I know my brain is on a go slow not helped by the fact I was up at 5am with the kids this morning :p

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
With n=1 I have $AW⊆W$
More specifically $\varrho(1)W = \{\varrho(1)\mu v : \mu \in \mathbb R \}
= \{\mu A v : \mu \in \mathbb R \}$.
This is only contained in $W$ iff $v$ is an eigenvector of $A$.

The only eigenvector for A is (1,1,1). Does this mean my span and the invariant subspace would be W ={(x,x,x)∈R3 |x∈R}?
That would be the only candidate then.

There are elements of the representation that don't fall into this though (every 4th element), is that ok?
I assume you are referring to $\varrho(4) = A^4$, which is apparently equal to $I$?
If so, is $I(1,1,1) \in W = \{\mu (1,1,1) : \mu \in \mathbb R \}$?

ThePerfectHacker

Jan 26, 2012

I did not compute the eigenvectors of A but assuming it is (1,1,1) then you are correct that W = <(1,1,1)> which is exactly how you described it.

What do you mean by that?

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
I think there is a typo in your original matrix.

I believe the matrix actually under consideration must be:

\(\displaystyle A = \begin{bmatrix}2&5&-1\\-2&\frac{5}{2}&\frac{11}{2}\\6&-\frac{3}{2}&\frac{3}{2} \end{bmatrix}\)

which satisfies:

$A^4 - 1296I = 0$

(1,1,1) is indeed an eigenvalue of this matrix, and since $A$ satisfies the polynomial:

$x^4 - 1296 = (x^2 + 36)(x + 6)(x - 6)$

any eigenvalue must be a root of this polynomial (so we have just two possible eigenvalues, 6 and -6).

It turns out the characteristic polynomial is $(x - 6)(x^2 + 36)$, which rules out -6 as an eigenvalue. Solving for $E_6$ we find the space is indeed spanned by (1,1,1).

It is trivial that if:

$Av = \lambda v$ that:

$A^kv = \lambda^kv$

so any power of $A$ has the same eigenvectors as $A$.

Thus $\langle(1,1,1)\rangle = E_6$ is indeed a one-dimensional invariant subspace of $\rho$.

Last edited:

Carla1985

Feb 14, 2013
Hi, thanks all, I woke up this morning and it all started to make sense (eventually!). Here's how I have wrote it all out, hopefully its right lol:

We need to find a 1 dimensional subspace of $\mathbb{R}^3$, call this U. As its 1 dimensional subspace then any element of U is an eigenvector of $\varrho (n)$ with corresponding eigenvalue $\lambda_n$.

Since A has eigenvector (1,1,1) with eigenvalue 6 then (1,1,1) is our 1 dimensional basis element, call this u.

So $Au=6u$

And then:
$A^2u=A\lambda u=\lambda(Au)=\lambda(\lambda u)=\lambda^2u$

So then for any value of n:
$A^n u=\lambda^n u$

ie:
$\varrho (n)(u)=\lambda^n (u)\ \ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}$

Hence every element of U is a scaler multiple of u and U is a 1 dimensional invariant subspace of U.

Carla x

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Looks fine to me! :)

ILS x

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Looks good.