How Can I Create a Website Without Pop-Up Ads and Learn HTML?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary: Where can I find info on HTML? (I am about to buy the Schaum's outline).HTML is a language used to create web pages. It's relatively easy to learn and can be found for free online. There are also many books that teach it.3. Is there any other language I need to know?No, you only need to know HTML.4. How can I attach documents to my site? (PDF, DOC, XLS,...)You can attach files to your website by using a link. You would create a link by right-clicking on a file and selecting "Copy Link Location". Then you
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, I posted a topic about this at PF v2.0, and I'd like to start another one here. I want to create a website, but don't know how to do it. Greg and Janus had some advice for me, but I don't remember it in detail.

Here are the questions I want to tackle in this thread:

1. What's an inexpensive way to do it without having pop-up ads?
2. Where can I find info on HTML? (I am about to buy the Schaum's outline).
3. Is there any other language I need to know?
4. How can I attach documents to my site? (PDF, DOC, XLS,...)

That will do for now. I'd like to start with the first 2 questions, and move on from there. Once I get my space, I'll get into the other questions. I'll put a link to it here so you can see just how badly I misunderstood your instructions LOL.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Tom, let me say this. What your looking to do has the same difficulty level (for you) as maybe some physics 1 equations. You will pick this stuff up in no time. There are several nice free webhosts, or some nice ones for maybe $5.

There are only two links you'll need to visit to start your quest.

Find a host
http://www.hostsearch.com/

Web Tutorials
http://www.w3schools.com

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Tom, let me say this. What your looking to do has the same difficulty level (for you) as maybe some physics 1 equations. You will pick this stuff up in no time. There are several nice free webhosts, or some nice ones for maybe $5.

Good!

There are only two links you'll need to visit to start your quest.

Find a host
http://www.hostsearch.com/

Web Tutorials
http://www.w3schools.com

Thanks!

Since I have Friday's off , I'll get on that tomorrow. What I'll do is get a space, and put in some text. Then, over the course of this thread anyone who wants to can help me make it fancier.

For the webhost you could host if yourself if you have a high speed internet connection. 256 kpbs upstream would probably be enough for a moderate traffic website, but you should probably take it one step at a time. A free host would be nice. If you want a domain name i recommend www.godaddy.com[/URL] You can register a .com for $10 a year (yes, a YEAR). They also offer hosting.

If you want a book on HTML i would recommend O'Reilly books. They are a very good tech book publisher. HTML is a very easy language though, so you could probably pick it up by just reading free tutorials.

If you just want to make a basic site then you probably won't need to learn any other languages. You could learn javascript (language), photoshop (software) and flash (software) if you wanted to spice your site up a bit.

To put files in your site is just like putting a page in your site. You would just place a file in your htdocs directory and make a link to it.

-HBar

Last edited by a moderator:
HTML does not require books unless you're really into it. To throw together a basic site you can get what you need off the web. If you can get a decent page maker program (adobe pagemill yes, frontpage, no) then you need to know zip about HTML coding, tags,java, or perl.
It's really dummy proof, and won't present a challenge. www.geocities.com[/url] and [url]www.angelfire.com[/URL] both have free hosting for basic web pages with 11 megs of space, which is more than enough unless you are storing downloadable files or graphic intensive material.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Tom

I like javascript - it's pretty easy and can do a lot of things. You could try ASP if those guys that host your site permit it.
as for question 4 you can put a link to the doc in your page..

http://www.netfirms.com is a good place where I plan to build my personal webpage.

Prices range but for your own domain name, I believe the minimum is $25.00 (which isn't too bad).

For info try: http://www.about.com/compute/

Hope this helps at least a little.

I've done a lot with webpages over the years, so I'm just going to answer all of the questions at once with what I know.

1. What's an inexpensive way to do it without having pop-up ads?

Brinkster offers 30 MB free hosting without any pop-up ads. They also have support for ASP, a scripting language. Scripting languages allow you to provide dynamic content.

You can find less restrictive hosts for very low prices, but try to go with a company that has a reputable history. Some web hosts have great prices and offers but disappear the next week. That's just the way the Internet is.

2. Where can I find info on HTML? (I am about to buy the Schaum's outline).

I really don't think it's necessary to buy Schaum's outline, but it all depends on the approach you want to take. I learned HTML a couple of years ago from an online tutorial and since then have just looked at other webpage's source to learn. There is a plethora of tutorials online as well as tons of people who love to teach.

When building pages with HTML, you have static, unchanging content. It's just data in a file--which is perfectly fine for most people. However, others like to use additional languages such as JavaScript to add dynamic content. Ever seen an online form? They are the things that allow you to place an order, sign a guestbook, or almost anything else that requires data submission. They require a language like JavaScript or PHP.

Using HTML. You make a link to the document and the user downloads it by clicking the link. Of course, you have to upload the file first. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Good luck! I hope I was clear.

Yourfuturedomain.com

I built my site using the Site builder software from Yourfuturedomain.com, where I also purchased my domain name for the crazily cheap price of $8.75, long gone are the days of needing to pay $20+ for domain registration. Plus with the Website Tonight software from Yourfuturedomain.com I got the hosting account and email package to boot and that is only $5.95 a month. Customer service was really good and helpful when I needed to contact them to change the name servers, plus their Email support replied in about 6 hours. I had a domain registered with Network Solutions once - Good luck if you don't have a week to wait for a response. Anyway, I'm souding like some kind of commercial for those guys! But I just can't help how happy I am with them.

Roger H.

1. What is the first step in creating a website?

The first step in creating a website is to plan out the design and content. This includes deciding on a domain name, creating a site map, and determining the overall look and feel of the website.

2. Do I need to know how to code to create a website?

No, you do not need to know how to code to create a website. There are many website builders and content management systems available that allow you to create a website without coding. However, having some knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript can be helpful in customizing your website.

3. How much does it cost to create a website?

The cost of creating a website can vary greatly depending on your needs and preferences. Website builders and templates can range from free to a few hundred dollars, while hiring a professional web designer can cost thousands. You will also need to consider the cost of domain registration and web hosting.

4. Can I create a website for free?

Yes, it is possible to create a website for free using website builders and templates. However, these options may have limitations and may not give you as much control over your website compared to paid options. You will also need to consider the cost of domain registration and web hosting.

5. How long does it take to create a website?

The time it takes to create a website can vary depending on your experience, the complexity of the website, and the tools you use. With website builders and templates, you can create a basic website in a few hours. However, if you are hiring a professional web designer, it may take several weeks to complete the website.