Invariant Subspace: Understanding Definitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of invariant subspaces and its various definitions. It is mentioned that the notation used is not standard and a more common notation is suggested. The concept of a subspace being invariant under a linear operator is explained, and it is clarified that this applies to all vectors in the subspace. An example of a 3-dimensional space with invariant subspaces is also given.
sol66
So I'm trying to get an idea of what an invariant subspace is and so please let me know if my understanding is correct. Given that you have some vector subspace being a collection of a particular number of vectors with the the space denoted as |[tex]\gamma[/tex]>. If you have some other collection of vectors, not necessairly being a subspace in itself ... however we'll say that this collection of vectors is denoted as |[tex]\beta[/tex]>. If |[tex]\gamma[/tex]> is to be |[tex]\beta[/tex]> invariant, does that mean beta is contained in the vector space gamma?

Or for gamma to be beta invariant, does that mean the vector collection |[tex]\beta[/tex]> must make up a vector subspace itself spanning the vector subspace |[tex]\gamma[/tex]>? If this is the definition, must beta be a collection of orthogonal vector states?

I'm not sure which definition it should be, or if I'm even right with any of the definitions.

Thanks for the responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]|\gamma\rangle[/itex] is the notation for a vector, not a subset or a subspace. Let's use a more standard notation. Let's call the vector space V, and let S be a subset and U a subspace. You're asking about V being "S invariant". I don't think this concept makes sense. But suppose that T:V→V is linear. Now U is said to be invariant under T (or an invariant subspace of T) if Tx is in U for all x in U. If G is a group of linear operators, U is said to be invariant under G if U is invariant under T for all T in G.

So what your saying is if you operate on some vector x contained in your subspace V by the linear operator T and the resulting transformed vector is Tx is contained or spanned by the subspace V you have a T invariant subspace? As long as the transformation applied to all vectors contained in subspace V has that property that means your subspace V is T invariant? So is putting this in my own words, is this what you're saying? I'm not so accustomed to using such notation and descriptor words, that's why it's easy for me to get confused. Is this definition right?

sol66 said:
So what your saying is if you operate on some vector x contained in your subspace V by the linear operator T and the resulting transformed vector is Tx is contained or spanned by the subspace V you have a T invariant subspace?
It needs to be for all x. As you stated next.
sol66 said:
As long as the transformation applied to all vectors contained in subspace V has that property that means your subspace V is T invariant?
Right so [tex]T(V) \subseteq V [/tex], then V is T invariant.

Hey thanks for the help

A good example is a rotation around the z axis (in 3-dimensional space). The z axis is the only 1-dimensional invariant subspace, and the xy plane is the only 2-dimensional invariant subspace.

In other words given that your z axis only acts like a z operator/obsevable, the subspace on the z axis is z invariant. While the xy plane has the x and y operator spanning it become x and y invariant? That makes sens.

Related to Invariant Subspace: Understanding Definitions

1. What is an invariant subspace?

An invariant subspace is a subset of a vector space that remains unchanged under the action of a linear transformation. This means that any vector in the subspace will still be in the subspace after the transformation is applied.

2. How is an invariant subspace different from a general subspace?

An invariant subspace is a special type of subspace that is preserved under linear transformations. This is in contrast to a general subspace, which may not remain unchanged under such transformations.

3. What are the applications of invariant subspaces?

Invariant subspaces have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in solving differential equations, studying symmetry in physical systems, and understanding the behavior of dynamical systems.

4. How are invariant subspaces related to eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

An invariant subspace can be generated by a set of eigenvectors corresponding to the same eigenvalue. In other words, an invariant subspace is the span of all eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue.

5. Can an invariant subspace be a proper subset of another invariant subspace?

Yes, it is possible for one invariant subspace to be a proper subset of another invariant subspace. This means that the larger subspace will contain all the vectors of the smaller subspace and possibly some additional vectors.