Invariance of energy under change of origin

In summary: The chain rule might help.In summary, the energy expectation values of ψ(x) and ψ'(x) are equal if and only if ψ'(x) is an energy eigenvector with energy E.
cdog1350
Suppose you have a particle in one dimension in an energy eigenstate, i.e. Hψ(x)=Eψ(x) for some E. For an observer B in a coordinate frame with the origin translated some distance K to the right, the wavefunction of the particle looks like ψ'(x) = ψ(x+K).

Surely, we expect the energy that B measures to be the same as you measure, so Hψ'(x) = Eψ'(x) or in other words Hψ(x+K) = Eψ(x+K). But how can we prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
<E> = ∫ψ*(x) H(x) ψ(x) dx = ∫ψ*(x') H(x') ψ(x') dx' where x' = x + k.

If you have a potential, it will produce some non physical factor in psi, which gets killed off by it's conjugate when we turn psi into a probability density function

Bill_K said:

I'm not sure I understand this notation. The hamiltonian H is an operator, i.e. it's a functional that takes a function f(x) to some other function f'(x). I can see how it can be dependent on time like H(t) - that just means that the way it takes f(x) to f'(x) changes with time. But what does H(x) mean?

Also, even if you've proved the above result for <E>, that just says that the energy expectation values of ψ(x) and ψ'(x) are equal. Does that necessarily prove that ψ'(x) is an energy eigenvector with energy E?

I am too busy to do the calculation, but I have a few thoughts.

Doesn't the Hamiltonian also have to be "shifted"? For example, consider a harmonic oscillator.

The chain rule might help.

Your example is a particular case of something much more general.

usually

[tex]H(x) = -\partial_x^2 + V(x)[/tex]

If you translate x to x+k in the wave function, then you have two options

1.)
[tex]x \to x+k[/tex]
[tex]dx \to dx[/tex]
[tex]\partial_x \to \partial_x[/tex]
[tex]\psi(x) \to \psi(x+k)[/tex]
[tex]V(x) \to V(x+k)[/tex]
Then obviously this is a symmetry of the system and nothing changes

2.)
[tex]\psi(x) \to \psi(x+k)[/tex]
[tex]V(x) \to V(x)[/tex]
Then usually this is not a symmetry of the system; it corresponds to
[tex]\psi(x) \to \psi(x)[/tex]
[tex]V(x) \to V(x-k)[/tex]
and that means that you translate the oparticle w/o translating the potential, so the energy will change (only in the trivial case V(x) = V = const this is a symmetry)

Bill_K said:

that is the nice way of doing it.

Related to Invariance of energy under change of origin

1. What is the principle of invariance of energy under change of origin?

The principle of invariance of energy under change of origin states that the total energy of a system remains constant regardless of changes in the system's origin or reference point. This means that the total energy of a closed system cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. Why is the principle of invariance of energy important in science?

The principle of invariance of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of energy in all physical systems. It allows scientists to accurately predict and understand energy transformations and conservation in a wide range of phenomena, from simple mechanical systems to complex chemical reactions and nuclear reactions.

3. How does the invariance of energy under change of origin relate to the concept of potential and kinetic energy?

The principle of invariance of energy under change of origin is closely related to the concept of potential and kinetic energy. Potential energy is the energy stored in an object based on its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Both of these forms of energy are relative to a chosen reference point, but the total energy of the system remains constant regardless of changes in the reference point.

4. Can the principle of invariance of energy under change of origin be violated?

No, the principle of invariance of energy under change of origin is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and observed in various physical systems, and any apparent violations can be explained by factors such as measurement errors or unaccounted energy transfer.

5. How does the principle of invariance of energy under change of origin apply to open systems?

The principle of invariance of energy under change of origin applies to both closed and open systems. In an open system, energy can enter or leave the system through external forces, but the total energy of the system still remains constant. This is because the energy entering or leaving the system is accounted for in the overall energy balance of the system.