Invariance of combinations of physical quantities

In summary: I'm not sure how one would cite a private communication otherwise.In summary, there are motivated physical reasons to consider dimensionless physical quantities in exponential functions, as using quantities with units would not make sense. This applies to both relativistic and non-relativistic calculations. Additionally, combinations of dimensionless physical quantities can be used to maintain frame invariance, but this does not necessarily apply to individual dimensionless parameters.
bernhard.rothenstein
Please tell me if there are motivated physical reasons to consider that combinations of dimensionless physical quantities that appear at the exponent of e in distribution functions have the same magnitude in all inertial reference frames in relative motion,
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimensionless quantities are used in exponential functions because otherwise the units don't make sense. In other words, I know physically what a meter is and what a meter^2 is, but what is a 2^meter?

It has nothing to do with inertial reference frames or the Lorentz transform.

dimensionless combinations of physical quantities

DaleSpam said:
Dimensionless quantities are used in exponential functions because otherwise the units don't make sense. In other words, I know physically what a meter is and what a meter^2 is, but what is a 2^meter?

It has nothing to do with inertial reference frames or the Lorentz transform.
Thanks for your answer. I think that the problem is somehow connected with SR. Consider the exponment E/kT of e in a given distribution function
(E energy, k Boltzmann constant. T Kelvin temperature. It is dimensionsless. k having the same magnitude in all inertial reference frames the result is that E and T should transform via the same transformation factor.
Please consider all I say above as questions and not as a statement.
Kind regards

E/kT is not a good candidate for Lorentz invariance, because T is only defined in the overall rest system of the gas.
What about the dimensionless ratio v/c, which does change under LT?

bernhard.rothenstein said:
I think that the problem is somehow connected with SR.
I am sorry I was unclear.

Certainly you can find many examples of exponential functions that would be used in relativistic mechanics. All I intended to say is that the reason that an exponential function always has a dimensionless number as an argument is more general and not limited to relativity. In general e^(some physical unit) makes no sense.

Taking your example, I can tell you exactly what 1 Joule means, but what does e^(1 Joule) mean? It doesn't mean anything, it is nonsense. It doesn't matter if the context of the Joule is in a relativistic calculation or a regular Newtonian calculation. Either way 1 Joule is meaningful but e^(1 Joule) is not.

If you're unconcerned with mathematical rigour, a trivial way to see that an exponential function applied to mathematical physics must have a dimensionless quantity in the exponent is that the Taylor expansion of, say, [itex]e^x[/itex] about the point [itex]x=0[/itex] is

[tex]e^x = \sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{x^i}{i!} = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{6} + \cdots[/tex]

As you can see from the expansion, if [itex]x[/itex] had dimensions of, say, length, then the dimensions of [itex]e^x[/itex] would be undefined. Therefore, [itex]x[/itex] itself must be dimensionless.

Nice explanation, shoehorn. The same explanation could be used for other transcendental functions as well. Sin, cos, sqrt, etc. all must take dimensionless arguments for the same reason.

By the way, bernhard, just because a parameter is dimensionless does not imply that it is frame invariant. Consider the dimensionless parameter beta = v/c. The v is clearly frame variant (0 in rest frame by definition and nonzero in all other frames) and c is constant in all frames. So beta must be frame variant even though it is dimensionless.

Last edited:
invariance of combinations of phyhsical quantities

DaleSpam said:
Nice explanation, shoehorn. The same explanation could be used for other transcendental functions as well. Sin, cos, sqrt, etc. all must take dimensionless arguments for the same reason.

By the way, bernhard, just because a parameter is dimensionless does not imply that it is frame invariant. Consider the dimensionless parameter beta = v/c. The v is clearly frame variant (0 in rest frame by definition and nonzero in all other frames) and c is constant in all frames. So beta must be frame variant even though it is dimensionless.
Thank you for your help. The counterexample you give is interesting but what I have in mind are combinations which do not involve invariant phyhsical quantities. Consider as an example
N=E/h[tex]\nu[/tex]
where N is say the counted number of photons and h[tex]\nu[/tex] is the energy of a single photon. N and h have the same magnitude for all inertial observers in reletive motion and so E and [tex]\nu[/tex] should transform via the same transformation equation. Many such examples could be invented.

invariance of combinations

shoehorn said:
If you're unconcerned with mathematical rigour, a trivial way to see that an exponential function applied to mathematical physics must have a dimensionless quantity in the exponent is that the Taylor expansion of, say, [itex]e^x[/itex] about the point [itex]x=0[/itex] is

[tex]e^x = \sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{x^i}{i!} = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{6} + \cdots[/tex]

As you can see from the expansion, if [itex]x[/itex] had dimensions of, say, length, then the dimensions of [itex]e^x[/itex] would be undefined. Therefore, [itex]x[/itex] itself must be dimensionless.
Thanks for the nice explanation. I will insert it in a paper I am preparing.
But how could I quote it?

invariance of combinations

clem said:
E/kT is not a good candidate for Lorentz invariance, because T is only defined in the overall rest system of the gas.
What about the dimensionless ratio v/c, which does change under LT?
Thanks for your help. Considering Planck's distribution T is the tempareture of the blackbody emitting the radiation.

bernhard.rothenstein said:
Thanks for the nice explanation. I will insert it in a paper I am preparing.
But how could I quote it?

Something of the form:
"Shoehorn, Private communication."

Related to Invariance of combinations of physical quantities

1. What is the concept of invariance of combinations of physical quantities?

The invariance of combinations of physical quantities refers to the principle that the numerical values of physical quantities should not depend on the specific units chosen to measure them. In other words, the relationship between different physical quantities should remain the same regardless of the units used.

2. Why is the invariance of combinations of physical quantities important in science?

This principle is important because it allows for consistency and accuracy in the measurement and analysis of physical phenomena. By ensuring that the relationships between different physical quantities remain unchanged, scientists can make reliable predictions and draw meaningful conclusions from their experiments and observations.

3. How does the concept of invariance of combinations of physical quantities relate to the laws of physics?

The laws of physics are based on the fundamental principles of invariance, such as the invariance of combinations of physical quantities. These principles serve as the foundation for understanding and explaining the behavior of the physical world, and they have been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

4. Can you provide an example of invariance of combinations of physical quantities in action?

One example of invariance of combinations of physical quantities is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). This equation holds true regardless of the units used to measure these quantities, whether it be kilograms, pounds, meters, or feet.

5. Are there any exceptions to the principle of invariance of combinations of physical quantities?

In some cases, the principle of invariance may not hold true. For example, in the field of quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy. However, these exceptions are accounted for and incorporated into the overall understanding of physical laws and their invariance.