Introductory Torque Statics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a person carrying a pole and taking a break. The person places one end of the pole on a fence post and holds the other end 35 cm from its tip. The conversation goes on to discuss the problem using equations and considering different pivot points, ultimately questioning the correctness of the solution.
JSmithDawg

Homework Statement

You're carrying a 4.0-m-long, 24kg pole to a construction site when you decide to stop for a rest. You place one end of the pole on a fence post and hold the other end of the pole 35 cm from its tip.

I've drawn a diagram of the problem on Paint...
upload_2015-2-9_19-15-51.png

Homework Equations

∑τ=0
τ=F⊥r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ∑τ=F(r1)+w(r2)+N(r3)=0, and I'm going to rewrite it so F(r1)+N(r3)=-w(r2). Now, if I call the left-most point the pivot point, my new equation becomes F(.35m)+4m(9.8 N/kg * 24kg) =-2m(-9.8 N/kg* 24 kg), which simplifies to F(.35m) = -470.4Nm, which makes F=-1344N. This seems way too big to be right; what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
it would be much easier to use the RIGHTmost point as the pivot. Where is the weight applied? ... why are you not adding torques to zero? ...

Related to Introductory Torque Statics Problem

What is torque in statics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In statics, torque is calculated as the product of the force applied to an object and the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force.

How do you find the net torque in a statics problem?

To find the net torque in a statics problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective distances from the axis of rotation. Then, you can calculate the torque for each force and add them together to find the net torque.

What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque refers to a force that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while counterclockwise torque refers to a force that causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. In statics, these terms are used to describe the direction of the net torque on an object.

What is the role of the lever arm in torque?

The lever arm, also known as the moment arm, is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of a force. It is an important factor in calculating torque, as it determines the effectiveness of a force in causing an object to rotate.

How is torque related to rotational equilibrium?

In statics, an object is in rotational equilibrium when the net torque acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise torques are balanced, and the object will not rotate. Torque plays a crucial role in determining whether an object is in rotational equilibrium or not.