Introductory physics force problems

In summary, mass and weight are two different measurements in physics, with mass referring to the amount of matter and weight measuring the force of gravity on an object. To calculate the net force on an object, all individual forces acting on the object must be added together using vector addition. Common types of forces in physics include gravitational, electromagnetic, normal, frictional, tension, and applied forces. Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which is important in understanding how forces interact. Kinetic friction opposes the motion of an object while it is already in motion, while static friction prevents an object from moving. The magnitude of static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.
inkandgold

Homework Statement

1) http://i.imgur.com/JbK13.gif
The figure below depicts the forces acting on a safe being pushed up an ramp by movers, Fa. The mass of the safe is 500 kg, the coefficient of static friction along the incline is μs = 0.41 and the coefficient of kinetic friction along the incline is μk = 0.34. The ramp forms an angle θ = 23° above the horizontal. The top of the wall is h = 1.0 m off the floor. What force needs to be applied to hold the safe in place?

2) http://i.imgur.com/ZTYbR.gif
A young boy with a broken leg is undergoing traction. Find the magnitude of the total force of the traction apparatus applied to the leg, assuming the weight of the leg is 75 N and the weight hanging from the traction apparatus is also 75 N, θ = 28°.

Homework Equations

None were given to me, but this is what I think they are:
1)Fs = μs * N
w = mg

2) horizontal component of the traction force = 2 * 75 * cos (28) = 132 N

The Attempt at a Solution

1) static friction cannot hold the safe in place without having it slide back down

x components: -mg sin(theta) + Ffr = 0 = mg sin(theta) + uN
y components: N - mg cos(theta) = 0
N = mg cos(theta)

therefore F = -mg sin(theta) + u(mg cos(theta))
I don't think this is right...

2) horizontal component of the traction force = 2 * 75 * cos (28) = 132 N
magnitude of the force exerted on the femur by the lower leg = 132 N

I really appreciate any help you can give me! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 2 is fine.

For problem 1: Assume that the safe is standing on the ramp without anyone touching it. As you say, static friction is not enough to keep it at rest. OK, but what is the net force acting on it if this were true? That is the force that needs to be applied up the ramp to keep it at rest.

For problem 2, the horizontal component isn't enough apparently. I don't know what the vertical component is though.

For problem 1, I have F = mg sin(theta) + u(mg cos(theta)). But I don't think that gets me the right answer. I don't know if I'm setting up my x and y components correctly.

inkandgold said:
For problem 2, the horizontal component isn't enough apparently. I don't know what the vertical component is though.
The vertical component is such that the leg is at rest. What forces act on the leg in the vertical direction?
inkandgold said:
For problem 1, I have F = mg sin(theta) + u(mg cos(theta)). But I don't think that gets me the right answer. I don't know if I'm setting up my x and y components correctly.
The two force components are in opposite directions; if one is positive, the other must be negative.

Problem 2. The forces that act on the leg at rest are the weight (mg).

Problem 1. Would it be F = mg sin(theta) - u(mg cos(theta))?

inkandgold said:
Problem 2. The forces that act on the leg at rest are the weight (mg).
That's only the vertical component exerted by the traction apparatus. To find the total or net force exerted by the apparatus you also need to consider its horizontal component.

Problem 1. Would it be F = mg sin(theta) - u(mg cos(theta))?
It would be that.

For problem 2, the horizontal component of the traction force = 2 * 75 * cos (28) = 132 N. Would it just be 132 N + mg?

inkandgold said:
For problem 2, the horizontal component of the traction force = 2 * 75 * cos (28) = 132 N. Would it just be 132 N + mg?
It would not. The two components are at right angles to each other. How do you find the resultant in this case?

Would it be sqrt (75^2 + 132^2) using the Pythagorean theorem?

It would be that.

Thank you so much! For the first problem would it be:

F = mg sin(theta) - u(mg cos(theta)) = 500*9.8 sin 23 - 0.41(500*9.8 cos 23) = 65.3 N?

Yup.

Related to Introductory physics force problems

1. What is the difference between mass and weight in physics?

Mass refers to the amount of matter that an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object due to gravity. Mass is usually measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in newtons (N).

2. How do I calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object. This can be done by using vector addition, where you take into account the magnitude and direction of each force. The net force will determine the acceleration of the object according to Newton's Second Law of Motion.

3. What are some common types of forces in physics?

Some common types of forces in physics include gravitational force, electromagnetic force, normal force, frictional force, tension force, and applied force. These forces can act on objects in different ways and have varying magnitudes.

4. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion apply to force problems?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in force problems, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object. This concept is important in understanding how forces interact with each other.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion. On the other hand, static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. The magnitude of static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction, making it harder to overcome.