Introductory number theory textbook

In summary, there are multiple options for introductory textbooks on number theory, including Friedberg's "An Adventurer's Guide to Number Theory" for non-math majors and Dudley's "Elementary Number Theory" for math majors. Other options include Apostol's "Introduction to Analytic Number Theory", Rosen's "Elementary Number Theory and Its Applications", Stillwell's "Number Theory", and Hardy and Wright's "Introduction to the Theory of Numbers". Van den Eynden and Nagell are also recommended by some as beginning and advanced books, respectively. Dudley's book is particularly praised for its approachability and usefulness for self-study.
battousai
What is a good introductory textbook for beginners?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a real basic, survey type of book (say for non-math majors) then Id recommend Friedbergs "An Adventurers Guide to Number Theory." Its light reading but its not fluff and it'll give you a bit of a taste of what number theory is about.

If you want a beginner's book that's more rigorous (say for sophomore/junior level math major) Underwood Dudley's Elementary Number Theory is a great place to START.

I'm looking for the 2nd type of book (for math majors).

Three to consider are:

Apostol - Introduction to Analytic Number Theory -- the analytic side of numbers
Rosen - Elementary Number Theory and Its Applications -- basic ideas and relations
Stillwell - Number Theory -- some feel for the algebraic aspects

There's also the classic:

Hardy and Wright - Introduction to the Theory of Numbers 4th ed -- older more toward analytic aspects

battousai said:
I'm looking for the 2nd type of book (for math majors).

I would say then the Dudley book is most approachable, especially for self study. Its a Dover book, so it can be had for cheap.

I took number theory as an undergrad over the summer and we used an absolutely horrendous book (but at least is was free: http://www.shoup.net/ntb/ ) and I had the Dudley book the whole time, but never bothered to read it for the better part of the session until the last couple of weeks when, I then realized that I would have gotten much much more out of my course had I used that book for the bulk of my studying. Everything that I was left in a fog with was immediately cleared up by the Dudley book. Plenty of exercises, answers to exercises, etc.

I think its worth picking up, even if after reading some of it, you feel its not rigorous enough (I don't feel that way, I think its perfect for a first intro to the subject) and you need a more challenging book, at least you'll get your feet wet and won't spend much cash to do it.

Personally, I would love to learn more and might move on to some of the books suggested by xristy. I am personally looking at picking up Apostol's book.

the number theorists in my department often recommended van den eynden as a beginning book. as a more advanced book i always liked that by trygve nagell.

Related to Introductory number theory textbook

1. What is introductory number theory?

Introductory number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integers and their properties, including prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory number theory textbook?

An introductory number theory textbook would typically cover topics such as divisibility, prime numbers, modular arithmetic, congruences, and Diophantine equations.

3. Who is an introductory number theory textbook suitable for?

An introductory number theory textbook is suitable for anyone with a basic understanding of algebra and arithmetic who wants to learn about the fundamental concepts and principles of number theory.

4. How does number theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Number theory has connections to many other branches of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and analysis. It also has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.

5. Are there any real-life applications of number theory?

Yes, number theory has many practical applications, such as in cryptography for secure communication, in coding theory for error correction in data transmission, and in the development of algorithms for efficient data processing.