What frequency is monitored by the leading ship?

In summary, two ships are moving along a line due east, with the trailing ship having a speed of 64.0 km/h and the leading ship having a speed of 45.0 km/h. Both ships are in a region where the current is moving due west at 10.0 km/h. The trailing ship transmits a sonar signal at a frequency of 1200 Hz and the leading ship is monitoring a frequency of 1520 m/s. The Doppler effect is used to solve this problem.
jpnnngtn
This problem here is rather tough (to me). Perhaps you can help:

Two ships are moving along a line due east. The trailing vessel has a speed of 64.0 km/h relative to a land based observation point, and the leading ship has a speed of 45.0 km/h relative to the same station. The two ships are in a region of the ocean where the current is moving uniformly due west at 10.0 km/h. The trailing ship transmits a sonar signal at a frequency of 1200 Hz. What frequency is monitored by the leading ship? (Use 1520 m/s as the speed of sound in the ocean)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

As per Forums policy, I need you to show me how you started and where you got stuck.

Thanks,

Hi jpnnngtn,
you have probably already found out that the ships' speeds relative to the medium are 74 km/h and 55 km/h respectively. I think you should look up 'Doppler effect' in your script/book, and see where that gets you. If you are still stuck, then please tell us what the difficulty is.

I stayed up and solved this one last night. I think i just needed to take a break and come back to it later.

What frequency is monitored by the leading ship?

The frequency monitored by the leading ship varies depending on the specific operation or mission. However, a common frequency used for communication and navigation is the Very High Frequency (VHF) band, which typically ranges from 156 to 174 MHz.

Why is monitoring frequency important for the leading ship?

Monitoring frequency is important for the leading ship because it allows for effective communication and coordination with other ships, as well as air traffic control and other maritime authorities. It also helps to ensure the safety and security of the ship and its crew.

How is the frequency monitored by the leading ship?

The frequency is typically monitored using specialized radio equipment onboard the ship, such as VHF radios or satellite communication systems. The ship's crew is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the communication equipment.

Are there international regulations for the frequency monitored by the leading ship?

Yes, there are international regulations set by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) for the use of radio frequencies in maritime communications. These regulations help to ensure that all ships are using compatible frequencies to avoid interference and promote efficient communication.

What happens if the frequency monitored by the leading ship is disrupted or lost?

If the frequency is disrupted or lost, the leading ship may have trouble communicating with other ships or authorities, which can result in delays or safety hazards. In such cases, the ship's crew will work to troubleshoot and restore the frequency, or switch to alternative communication methods if needed.