The most disturbing homework problem ever.

In summary, the lecture was on performing costing analyses. The lecture was given by an Aerospace Engineer and the question on the minds of most people was how much money should be spent to prevent an asteroid from striking the Earth in 300 years. At 10% discount rate, the value of the human race is $382.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here it is. For some reason, it disturbs me a bit.

It has just been announced that a 100km diameter asteroid has been discovered. A careful analysis of its orbit reveals that it will strike the Earth in 300 years, destroying all life on the planet. Assuming the total monetary value of the entire human race at that time to be about a quadrillion dollars ($1 x 10 15), at 10% discount rate, how much should you be willing to spend today to prevent this catastrophe?

Emphasis mine.

Ugh. I don't feel so good putting a monetary value on the existence of life as we know it...

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL

*drumroll please*

$382

Where do you go to get a discount card for that?!

What class is this? This has got to be a philosophy class, right?

You could put as an answer the amount you are spending on your education.

Being in the Aerospace Engineering field, you may be the one who helps develop the method to divert or destroy the asteroid.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
What class is this? This has got to be a philosophy class, right?

Intro to Space System Design

The lecture was on performing costing analyses.

Maybe it's a psych test to weed out maniacs from the space program?

(Into high level government offices where they belong? :wink:)

In three hundred years, only a quadrillion?? huh?? what?? who did the math?

naw you see, its priceless . . . we all get the one way ticket to the end of the Earth . . . front row seats anyone?

so after laughing at the problem for a quite a while i began to wonder...whats the answer? how do you solve this problem, i mean obviously you should spend whatever it takes THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE IS ON THE LINE but what does the instructor for this class expect.
i mean really, if one day I am in charge of the world and an asteriod is going to destroy the Earth i want to know how much money I am going to have left over for the after-party

What is this thread doing in Gen. Disc. rather than Gen. Eng.? Cost analysis is very much a part of engineering; what fraction of resources to spend today on something that's 300 years away vs. the immediate demands on those resources could stand a little more serious discusssion.

i'd be willing to spend whatever change i have in my pocket...considering i don't pass a needy bum on the way to the donation box. lol

Originally posted by ThOrNe
i'd be willing to spend whatever change i have in my pocket...considering i don't pass a needy bum on the way to the donation box. lol
So I'll accept cheques, cash, money orders, whatever manner you can find to send it to this "needy bum"...

1. What makes "The most disturbing homework problem ever" so disturbing?

The problem is designed to challenge students' moral and ethical beliefs by presenting a scenario that may be uncomfortable or disturbing.

2. Why would a teacher assign such a disturbing homework problem?

The purpose is to encourage critical thinking and discussion about sensitive topics and to prepare students to handle difficult situations in the future.

3. Is it appropriate for students of all ages?

The level of appropriateness depends on the age and maturity of the students. Teachers should use their discretion and consider the sensitivity of the topic before assigning the problem.

4. How can students cope with the disturbing nature of the problem?

Teachers should create a safe and supportive environment for students to discuss their thoughts and feelings about the problem. Students can also seek support from peers, parents, or a counselor if needed.

5. Are there any benefits to solving a disturbing homework problem?

Yes, it can help students develop critical thinking skills, empathy, and the ability to handle difficult situations. It can also spark important discussions and raise awareness about important issues.