Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Introduction to Tensor Products - some advice please

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I am (trying to :) ) reading Dummit and Foote Section 10.4 on Tensor Products of Modules and am finding D&F's introduction to the topic of tensor products quite bewildering! ...

Can anyone give me a simple definition of a tensor product of modules together with an example to give me a basic understanding of the structure of tensor products of modules ... I would really appreciate such help ...

Alternatively, can anyone give me a reference that gives a good basic introduction to tensor products of modules?

... after looking at a number of texts I am getting the impression that maybe I need to go back and study bilinear forms. What do MHB members think ... do I need to do this?

Appreciate some help and advice ...

Peter

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm no pro at algebra, but I'm a fan of Keith Conrad and his notes (you can find the ones on tensor products here).

Hopefully this will make the topic of tensor products easier to understand (I, too, didn't like Dummit and Foote's explanations either)! (Smile)

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I'm no pro at algebra, but I'm a fan of Keith Conrad and his notes (you can find the ones on tensor products here).

Hopefully this will make the topic of tensor products easier to understand (I, too, didn't like Dummit and Foote's explanations either)! (Smile)

Thanks Chris, appreciate the help ...

Will give the notes a close look ...

Peter

Last edited:

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks Chris, appreciate the help ...

Will give the notes a close look ...

Peter

Hi Chris,

Just glanced through the material on tensors ...

Wow! Thank you ... looks at first glance like a wonderful resource!

Will let you know how I go after some detailed study and reflection ...

Thanks so much!!!

Peter