Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

In summary, quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of an observer. It is different from classical physics, which studies the behavior of matter and energy without the presence of an observer. There is not one single physics, but many different ones that are interconnected.
Bilal Rajab Abbasi
Gold Member
Hi! I am Bilal Rajab.
I have a question regarding Quantum Physics.
From where can we learn about Quantum Physics and what is its relation to Classical Physics?
Why is there not one single Physics...?
Thanks
Regards,
Bilal Rajab Abbasi

Physics news on Phys.org
Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
Hi! I am Bilal Rajab.
From where can we learn about Quantum Physics and what is its relation to Classical Physics?
Thanks
Regards,
Bilal Rajab Abbasi

Try this:

Likes Bilal Rajab Abbasi
Thanks

Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
Hi! I am Bilal Rajab.
Thanks
Regards,
Bilal Rajab Abbasi

Here in the US, at various points along the many thousand of miles of US highway systems, there are "weighing stations" that weigh commercial trailer trucks, to make sure they are not overweight and become a safety hazard. Now, do you think these weighing machines can also weigh chemicals in the sub milligrams scale with the needed accuracy? If you drop a grain of sand on such a scale, do you think it will even make a difference on its reading? You have to switch to a more accurate weighing scale, which will have greater accuracy, but you sacrifice the range of weights that you can now measure. A chemical balance is certainly not the equipment you would use to weight a truck, or even a potato.

In other words, you use the proper instrument to do what you want.

There actually is just ONE single physics. But it has many different loose sub-areas. It also means that they are all inter-related and connected. There are forms and mathematics that look similar or even identical in different areas of physics. This is why the study of magnetism and superconducitivity in condensed matter physics gave birth to the Higgs mechanism in elementary particle physics.

This is why students usually get an undergraduate degree in "Physics", not in Classical Physics, not in Quantum Physics, not in Electromagnetism, etc... A physicist is expected to know the basic knowledge of all the fundamental areas of physics, not just one.

Zz.

Likes Bilal Rajab Abbasi

Related to Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It has led to the development of many innovative technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, that have greatly impacted our daily lives.

3. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of macroscopic objects in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, describes the behavior of subatomic particles in terms of probabilities and wave functions.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the wave-particle duality of matter?

Quantum mechanics explains that particles, such as electrons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can exhibit both wave-like interference and particle-like behavior, depending on the experimental setup.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Some real-world applications of quantum mechanics include transistors, lasers, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and quantum computing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors, and in the development of new technologies, such as quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation.