Introduction to energy problem - did I do this right?

In summary, the question asked for the distance a bullet would penetrate a block of wood after being struck with an initial velocity of 350 m/s and experiencing an opposing force of 50,000N. Using the equations Ei+work=Ef and Energy=Force*Displacement, the solution was found to be a displacement of 0.03m, assuming a constant force. However, this method does not accurately reflect the relationship between average force and displacement, as average force is defined as the change in momentum over time, not the change in kinetic energy over displacement. Therefore, the given solution may not be entirely accurate.
JSmithDawg

Homework Statement

The bullet strikes a block of wood which exerts, on average, a force of 50,000N opposing the motion of the bullet. How far does the bullet penetrate?

Mass of bullet = 25g
Initial velocity of bullet = 350 m/s
Final velocity of bullet = 0 m/s

Homework Equations

Ei+work=Ef
K = ½mv^2
Energy = Force * Displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

Please excuse my attempt of it's egregiously wrong, I was just introduced to energy yesterday; this is one of the first problems I'm doing.

Anyways, because the final velocity of the bullet is zero, the bullet must have lost all of its energy, making Ef=0 J. The bullet initially had kinetic energy, making Ei=K. Thus, my new equation is
K+work = 0 J
½mv^2+work=0 J

I also know that the problem gave me how many Newtons oppose the object, but I need to find out how much energy it used. Since Energy = Force*Displacement, I can rewrite the equation as:
½mv^2+(F*Δx) = 0 J
So I solved it below...
½(.025kg)(350 m/s)^2+(-50000N*Δx) = 0 J
Δx=.03m

Did I do this problem right? If not, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your arithmetic, but you methodology is correct.

Chet

It's the right answer according to what the questioner seems to expect you to do, but the question is actually wrong.
Knowing the average force you cannot deduce the distance, only the time. Your method effectively assumes a constant force. Average force is defined as ##\Delta##momentum/##\Delta##time. In general, this gives a different number from ##\Delta##KE/displacement.

Related to Introduction to energy problem - did I do this right?

1. What is the purpose of an "Introduction to energy problem"?

An introduction to energy problem serves as a way to introduce a specific problem related to energy and provide background information on the topic.

2. How do I know if I have correctly solved an energy problem?

To ensure that you have correctly solved an energy problem, you should check your calculations and make sure they align with established principles and equations in energy science. It is also helpful to have a peer or instructor review your work.

3. How do I approach solving an energy problem?

To effectively solve an energy problem, you should first clearly define the problem and gather all relevant information. Then, use established principles and equations in energy science to determine a solution. Finally, check your calculations and ensure they align with the problem's requirements.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an energy problem?

Some common mistakes when solving an energy problem include incorrect units, not considering all forms of energy involved, and not using the correct equations or principles. It is also essential to double-check calculations for accuracy.

5. Can you provide an example of an "Introduction to energy problem"?

Yes, an example of an introduction to energy problem could be a scenario where a household is trying to reduce their energy consumption and lower their electricity bill. The introduction would provide background information on energy consumption and the importance of reducing energy usage. It would also define the specific problem and outline the steps that will be taken to solve it.