Intro to probability density QM

In summary: I was just going to delete my last post, but I think it might be good to keep it for reference. Thanks for the help. So I guess the the plotted points just show you that for different values of epsilon you get a different probability for the same state. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle in a linear superposition of two states with energies ##E_0## and ##E_1##. The value of A is calculated as a function of ##\epsilon## and used to plot A vs ##\epsilon##. The location of the state $$|\phi>$$ on the Hilbert space is also shown by plotting it on a Cartesian graph with ##E_0## and ##E_1
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Q: A particle is in a linear superposition of two states with energies: ##E_0##& ##E_1##
$$|\phi>=A|E_0>+\frac{A}{\sqrt{3-\epsilon}}|E_1>$$

(a) What is the value of A ? Express your answer as a function of ##\epsilon##

(b) Use your expression to plot A vs ##\epsilon##

(c) Show by a diagram the location of the state $$|\phi>$$ on the Hilbert space, using ##E_0##& ##E_1## as the basis vectors for ##\epsilon= 0,1## & ##2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am new to this notation so, if I have used the wrong notation or there is a more easier way please tell me. All so I assumed that ##E_0=(i+0j)##&##E_1=(0i+j)##

a) To calculate the value of A I did the following:

$$P(E_0)=<E_0|\phi>=(A^*<E_0|+0)(A|E_0>+\frac{A}{\sqrt{3-\epsilon}}|E_1>)=A* \times A \times 1=|A|^2 $$

$$P(E_1)=<E_1|\phi>= (0+(\frac{A}{\sqrt{3-\epsilon}})^*)(A|E_0>+\frac{A}{\sqrt{3-\epsilon}}|E_1>))=(\frac{A}{\sqrt{3-\epsilon}})* \times \frac{A}{\sqrt{3-\epsilon}}=\frac{A^2}{3-\epsilon}$$

$$P(E_0)+P(E_1)=1$$

After simplifying I got the following:

$$A=\sqrt{\frac{3-\epsilon}{4-\epsilon}}$$

b) I used desomos the bit with in the the shaded area is what I make it.

upload_2017-12-17_19-50-56.png

c) this is where my problem lies. I am slightly confused because for different values of epsilion the one gives the probabilities do not add up to 1 so before I plot them do I have to workout an normalisation constant before I plot them. As I said I am very new and this is an intro course I am on, so I am learning as I am going.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have also attched photo of actual question just incase I have missed anything out.

upload_2017-12-17_19-53-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-17_19-50-56.png
    upload_2017-12-17_19-50-56.png
    30 KB · Views: 370
  • upload_2017-12-17_19-53-46.png
    upload_2017-12-17_19-53-46.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they just want you to plot and label the three points with coordinates ##(A,A/\sqrt{3-\varepsilon})##, on the number plane, for three different values of ##\varepsilon##, in each case replacing the value of ##A## by the value obtained from the formula you derived above.

Ah I see, can I ask what the point in this, as I understand then that these plots would not be a solution to the equation. So when would it be appropriate to find the normalising coefficient

Taylor_1989 said:
Ah I see, can I ask what the point in this, as I understand then that these plots would not be a solution to the equation.
What equation are you talking about?

Taylor_1989 said:
So when would it be appropriate to find the normalising coefficient
Always? One normally wants to work with normalized states.

The question is strangely worded. I agree with @andrewkirk that they want you to plot ##| \phi \rangle## as a real vector on a Cartesian graph with ##|E_0\rangle## and ##|E_1\rangle## as the axes, but this doesn't really represent "the location of the state ##| \phi \rangle## in the Hilbert space."

I am talking about the equation that need to be plotted so: ##|\phi>## with my obtained value of A. I just don’t know what the question is really trying to show me. I mean I understand the the probability should always up to one, but in this case they do not for the certain value of epsilon, so why do it? Also what is Hilbert space exactly, how would I draw this on Hilbert space even if it possible.

Taylor_1989 said:
I mean I understand the the probability should always up to one, but in this case they do not for the certain value of epsilon, so why do it?
I don't understand why you say that the probabilities don't add up to 1. Using your equation for ##A##, what is ##|\phi\rangle## for ##\epsilon=0,1,2##?

Taylor_1989 said:
Also what is Hilbert space exactly, how would I draw this on Hilbert space even if it possible.
The Hilbert space is an abstract vector space, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space

Can you please ignore that they do added up to 1, iv just been thinking about this problem so much and trying to understand it that, I kept doing basic arithmetic errors. Sorry for the confusion.

Related to Intro to probability density QM

1. What is probability density in quantum mechanics?

Probability density in quantum mechanics is a measure of the likelihood of finding a particle in a particular region of space. It is represented by the squared amplitude of the particle's wave function, which describes the probability of the particle being in a specific location.

2. How is probability density calculated in quantum mechanics?

Probability density is calculated by taking the squared magnitude of the wave function at a given point in space. This is represented by the equation P(x) = |ψ(x)|², where P(x) is the probability density and ψ(x) is the wave function.

3. What is the difference between probability density and probability in quantum mechanics?

Probability density describes the likelihood of finding a particle at a specific point in space, while probability refers to the likelihood of obtaining a particular measurement or outcome in an experiment. Probability density is continuous and can have different values at different points, while probability is a single value for a specific outcome.

4. How does probability density relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Probability density is used in quantum mechanics to describe the likelihood of finding a particle in a particular region of space, taking into account the uncertainty in its position and momentum.

5. What is the significance of probability density in quantum mechanics?

Probability density is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the probabilistic nature of particles at the subatomic level. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions, and is essential in calculations and experiments involving quantum systems.