Intro. to Modern Optics Question

In summary, the displacement current density in a parallel plate capacitor is given by ε(dE/dt), where ε is the permittivity of the medium between the plates. The energy density stored in the capacitor is Ue=1/2 εo E^2, and the force per unit area on the plates is P=εo E^2. The equation for D is not needed for the first part, and instead C=eA/d and q=CV can be used to find the current. The equation for D can be used to find the total energy density, Ut=2εoE^2. The relationship between P and the Poynting vector is given by P=s/c, where s is the P
hitman0097

Homework Statement

Show that the displacement current density which flows when a parallel plate capacitor gets charged is ε(dE/dt) where ε is the permittivity of the medium between the capacitor. What is the energy density stored in the capacitor and the force per unit area (pressure) on the plates?

Homework Equations

D=εoE + p= εoE +εoχE=εE
p=[itex]\alpha[/itex]E (mircoscopic)
p=χE (marcoscopic)
(Constitute of Relations) p is the polarization of the medium

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I am really confused as to how to show the first part, which I think is needed for the whole problem.
(b) For the work, from my notes I have[itex]\tau\tau[/itex]=[itex]\sigma[/itex]E which means it behaves equivallently to Ohms Law V=IR so the Voltage which is the work done per unit charge is equal to that expression.
(c) For the energy density of the capacitor Ue=1/2 εo E^2
And the Total energy density is Uto/2 *E^2 +B^2/2μo which reduced to 2εoE^2
(d) P=1/2 εoE^2 +B^2/μ
P=εo E^2
P=s/c (s is the Poynting vector)

I am just really confused but this is what my notes and external sites have led me to. Any help to make sense of this is appreciated (I'll be talking to my professor today too as well so hopefully I can understand this better)

Physics news on Phys.org
tau is the displacement current, and sigma should be the conductivity? I think

I didn't need the equation for D in the first part, All I needed was C=eA/d for capactiance and q=CV

So If i take the time derivative of q=cv I get the current I = e A/d *dV/dt

Nvm, I figured most of it now.

Oh, I thought you had figured it out five hours ago.

Related to Intro. to Modern Optics Question

1. What is the definition of modern optics?

Modern optics is the study of light and its interactions with matter using advanced techniques and technologies. It involves the use of lasers, advanced imaging systems, and other sophisticated tools to understand and manipulate light for various applications.

2. How is modern optics different from classical optics?

Modern optics focuses on the behavior of light at a more fundamental level, taking into account quantum mechanics and other modern theories. It also involves the use of advanced technologies and materials, while classical optics mainly deals with the behavior and properties of light using simple optical elements like lenses and mirrors.

3. What are some applications of modern optics?

Modern optics has a wide range of applications across various fields such as telecommunications, medicine, astronomy, and manufacturing. Some specific applications include fiber optics communication, laser surgery, astronomical imaging, and high-resolution microscopy.

4. How does modern optics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Modern optics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by providing us with advanced tools and techniques to observe and analyze celestial objects. It allows us to study the behavior of light from distant stars and galaxies, providing valuable insights into the evolution and structure of the universe.

5. What are the future developments in modern optics?

The field of modern optics is continuously evolving, and there are many exciting developments on the horizon. Some future advancements may include the use of advanced materials for better light manipulation, increased use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in optics research, and the development of new imaging techniques for biomedical applications.