Intro to Linear Algebra vs Calculus II

In summary, the conversation is about taking an Intro to Linear Algebra course at a community college as a way to save money while attending a university. The speaker is concerned about the difficulty of the course compared to Calculus II, which they have struggled with in the past. Other factors such as course sequencing and preferences are also mentioned. The general consensus is that Linear Algebra is easier than Calculus II, but it is important to consider one's schedule and plan accordingly.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am thinking of taking an Intro to Linear Algebra course at a community college to save money while I am at a university. It is a 200 level course just like Calc II and I just was wondering if it was harder than Calc II. I really struggled in that class and I am taking it again this semester so I can get a better grade and move onto Calc III at a university, so taking linear algebra there would help me, because the prereq is only Calc I. So what do you think, what is harder, Calc II or Intro to Linear Algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Calculus II is definitely more challenging than introductory linear algebra.

Normally people do Calc I,II,III and then Linear Algebra and/or Diff Eqns...

It depends on what you like more, and I think it's a good idea to do LA before calc 3/DE

If you've at least gone through Calc II then I think you'll find that Linear Algebra is some degrees easier.

I think Calc I and linear algebra I should be taken at the same time, then Calc II and linear algebra II (you may only need 1 semester of lin alg though) and then Calc III and ODE at the same time. Then after 3 semesters you could have all the basic math courses down and can take things like PDE and complex variables or analysis etc

So Linear algebra is probably easier, but try to take into account what your schedule would be like at the university. For example, say you take linear algebra at the college and plan to do calc II at the university, but calc II is only offered in the spring and you basically sit on your behind for a semester when you could have taken calc II at the college and done linear algebra first semester at the university.

Related to Intro to Linear Algebra vs Calculus II

What is the difference between Intro to Linear Algebra and Calculus II?

Intro to Linear Algebra and Calculus II are two different branches of mathematics. While both deal with equations and functions, they focus on different aspects of them. Linear Algebra primarily deals with vectors, matrices, and systems of linear equations, while Calculus II focuses on derivatives, integrals, and advanced techniques for solving equations.

Which course is more challenging, Intro to Linear Algebra or Calculus II?

This is a subjective question as it depends on an individual's strengths and interests. However, many students find Calculus II to be more challenging due to its advanced concepts and the need for strong algebra skills. Linear Algebra may be easier for those who have a strong grasp on algebraic manipulations.

Do I need to take Intro to Linear Algebra before Calculus II?

It is common for universities to require students to take Intro to Linear Algebra before Calculus II. This is because Linear Algebra provides a foundation for understanding concepts in Calculus II, such as vectors and matrices. However, it is not necessary to take them in a specific order as long as you have a good understanding of both subjects.

How can I apply Intro to Linear Algebra and Calculus II in the real world?

Both Intro to Linear Algebra and Calculus II have various real-world applications. Linear Algebra is used in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics, while Calculus II is used in economics, statistics, and physics. Understanding these subjects can help you solve real-world problems and make informed decisions.

Do I need to have a strong math background to understand Intro to Linear Algebra and Calculus II?

Having a basic understanding of algebra is essential for both Intro to Linear Algebra and Calculus II. However, with effort and practice, anyone can understand these subjects. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in algebraic manipulations and problem-solving skills.