Intro statistical mechanics question

In summary, the quote suggests that the macrostate observed in a system is determined by the highest number of microstates that can produce that macrostate. This means that the most likely macrostate is the one with the highest number of microstates, and the entropy or disorder in the system is a measure of this. This concept helps to explain why certain macrostates are more commonly observed than others in a given system.
Coffee_
Consider the quote ''The macrostate which corresponds to the highest number of microstates which result in that macrostate, is the state which will be observed.''

Can someone specify in which context this is correct because I'm quite confused by it. If I have an isolated box with N particles in it, clearly it has some definite macrostate. Then the macrostate is definite, and not decided by the highest number of microstates. So I'd like some elaboration on what it means.

Physics news on Phys.org
What they mean is that each macrostate can be produced by a number W of indistinguishable microstates. The most probable macrostate is the one for which W is the largest. Put differently, the entropy is [itex]S=k_B lnW[/itex] in this case, so the preferred state is the one with highest entropy.

Coffee_ said:
Consider the quote ''The macrostate which corresponds to the highest number of microstates which result in that macrostate, is the state which will be observed.''

Can someone specify in which context this is correct because I'm quite confused by it. If I have an isolated box with N particles in it, clearly it has some definite macrostate. Then the macrostate is definite, and not decided by the highest number of microstates. So I'd like some elaboration on what it means.

At any given instant, a box containing a gas of N particles has some microstate, defined by the states of all the individual particles making up the gas. It's also true that that configuration of particles defines the macrostate of the gas (i.e., its bulk properties).

At any given instant, the particles making up the gas are randomly colliding with one another, exchanging energy and momentum. The microstate of the gas changes randomly, Since the particular microstate defines what the bulk properties are too, the macrostate changes, however slightly as the microstate changes.

Since there are many microstates that could correspond to the same macrostate, and all microstates are equally likely, we can understand the following. The macrostate that has the most microstates is the one that's most likely to be seen at any given instant. Since there are vastly more microstates where the configurations of particles is nearly evenly distributed, we almost never see, for example, a gale force wind spontaneously blow in a still, sealed room.

Related to Intro statistical mechanics question

What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles, such as molecules, atoms, or subatomic particles. It aims to understand how these particles interact with each other and how their collective behavior can be described using statistical principles.

Why is statistical mechanics important?

Statistical mechanics provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, which is crucial for many areas of science and technology. It is used to explain phenomena such as phase transitions, chemical reactions, and the properties of materials. It also underlies many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

What are the main concepts in statistical mechanics?

The main concepts in statistical mechanics include entropy, probability, and energy. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, while probability is used to describe the likelihood of different states of a system. Energy is a fundamental quantity that is conserved in all physical processes and plays a central role in statistical mechanics.

How does statistical mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics are closely related, as thermodynamics is based on the principles of statistical mechanics. Thermodynamics provides a macroscopic description of systems in terms of a few variables, such as temperature and pressure, while statistical mechanics provides a microscopic explanation for the behavior of these systems.

What are some applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics has many practical applications, including in the fields of material science, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design new materials, understand chemical reactions, and study biological processes. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of engines and turbines.