Interviewed for Top Electronics Co. - Is the Position Mine?

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the speaker had an interview with a top electronics company and discovered that their competition had taken a position elsewhere. They went through multiple interviews and felt confident about their performance. The speaker is wondering if the absence of their competitor means they have a good chance of getting the job, but they should not assume anything and continue to follow up. They also share the importance of not stopping their job search until they have a solid offer. The speaker is eager to hear back about the job.
Winzer
So I had an interview with a top electronics company last Friday.
It came down to me, and one other candidate. When I was flown out
to the east coast, and met with my interviewers, I discovered that
my competition had taken a position elsewhere! I proceeded through
two interviews, followed by a facility tour, upscale lunch, and finally
6 other interviews. I felt, and still feel, confident about my performance.
Does the absent of my competitor mean that the position is mine for the
taking? Or do companies call in other eligible candidates? The company
I interviewed with I think is anxious to hire quickly. So I suspect it may be
the former -- just a guess. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you have a good chance, but you never know. You will just have to wait and see.

Don't be suckered by the fact that they are being so nice to you. Unless they are a bunch of losers (in which case you probably don't want to work for them anyway), they won't have done or said anything without a reason.

Getting people to make a quick decision about something, and find that it wasn't a good decision when it's too late to back out of it, is the oldest sales trick in the book. Don't fall for it.

Assume nothing about the competion. Job candidates are not hard to find these days. Be sure and follow up by phone a week to 10 days after the interview, unless otherwise directed. I always made it a point to ask 'when may I call you?' after the interview [and hoped they didnt say 'dont call us, we'll call you']. Initiative and expression of continued interest rarely hurts. A little nudge can be enough to tip the balance in your favor.

Also expect the unexpected. I know of situations in which we were almost ready to hand out an offer when something weird happens and we get orders from on high that headcount has disappeared.

Assume nothing about the interview. I've been in interviews in which I though I died, but it turns out that the interviewer was impressed and was just giving me a hard time. I've also been in interviews which I thought I did well, but it turns out that I said or did something that lost me the job.

One other thing. Do not stop looking until you get an actual offer. Until someone hands you an offer, assume that you have nothing, and keep sending out resumes and interviewing. One thing that is interesting is that the fact that company A has invited you for an on-site interview makes you more attract to company B.

Finally, I've found it better to always assume that I didn't get the job until I get an offer. Less disappointment when something weird happens.

Thank you everyone for your input.

The only reason I ask is that I really want this position.
It truly is the dream job out of college. But the waiting is
killing me. I feel like I just read a Kafka novel. Oh well,
just have to wait till next week :eek:

Winzer said:
Thank you everyone for your input.

killing me. I feel like I just read a Kafka novel. Oh well,
just have to wait till next week :eek:

Be sure to let us know!

Winzer said:
killing me.

That's one reason that you should keep sending out resumes and interviewing at other companies. It means that you aren't waiting.

You have a great chance but you never know what will happened. Some companies have a high standard and first impression lasts. So, you have to give the employer an impression that will make him hire you. :)

Good Luck! ;)

Related to Interviewed for Top Electronics Co. - Is the Position Mine?

1. What are the qualifications for the position?

The specific qualifications for the position may vary depending on the role and requirements of the company. It is important to carefully review the job description and identify the key skills and experience that are needed for the position. Additionally, highlighting any relevant experience and education during the interview can help demonstrate your qualifications.

2. What are the main responsibilities of the position?

The main responsibilities of the position will also vary based on the specific role within the company. It is important to thoroughly review the job description and research the company to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities. During the interview, you can ask for clarification on any specific duties or projects that the position may entail.

3. What is the company culture like?

The company culture can greatly influence your experience in the position, so it is important to gain an understanding of it during the interview process. You can research the company's values, mission, and work environment beforehand, and also ask questions during the interview to get a better sense of the company culture and whether it aligns with your own values and work style.

4. What is the timeline for the hiring process?

The timeline for the hiring process can vary from company to company. It is important to ask about the timeline during the interview so that you have a better understanding of when you can expect to hear back from the company. This can also help you plan and prioritize any other job opportunities you may have.

5. What sets this company apart from its competitors?

It is always beneficial to understand what makes a company unique and what sets them apart from their competitors. This can give you a better understanding of the company's values, products or services, and overall mission. During the interview, you can ask the interviewer about the company's competitive advantages and how they differentiate themselves in the industry.