Interval of Convergence for Power Series

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the convergence of a series and finding the correct solution. The group discussed the correct notation and approach to solving the problem, with one member providing a thorough explanation of the solution. The group also discussed moving the conversation to a different forum for better fit.
ineedhelpnow
Physics news on Phys.org
According to W|A, the series indeed converges for:

\(\displaystyle |-x-1|<3\)

which gives:

\(\displaystyle -4<x<2\)

just as you found. (Yes)

By the way, I am going to move this thread to our Calculus forum as its a better fit I think. (Thinking)

Thank you ^^ I wasn't sure if it would be -3<-x-1<3 or -3<x+1<3

ineedhelpnow said:
Thank you ^^ I wasn't sure if it would be -3<-x-1<3 or -3<x+1<3

Note that:

\(\displaystyle |-x-1|<3\)

is the same as:

\(\displaystyle |x+1|<3\)

which can be written as:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(x-(-1))^2}<3\)

and this tells us (because it is a 1-dimensional distance formula) that we want all real $x$ whose distance (on the number line) from $-1$ is less than $3$, and so we have:

\(\displaystyle -1-3<x<-1+3\)

or

\(\displaystyle -4<x<2\)

You should also observe that either inequality you posted will lead to the correct answer:

i) \(\displaystyle -3<-x-1<3\)

Add though by 1:

\(\displaystyle -2<-x<4\)

Multiply through by -1:

\(\displaystyle 2>x>-4\)

And this is equivalent to:

\(\displaystyle -4<x<2\)

ii) \(\displaystyle -3<x+1<3\)

Subtract through by 1:

\(\displaystyle -4<x<2\)

I noticed they both come to the same solution but I wasn't sure if there was a "right" way to have it done. Thanks a ton for the thorough explanation!

Related to Interval of Convergence for Power Series

1. What is the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence for a power series is the set of all values of the variable for which the series converges. In other words, it is the range of values for which the series will give a finite result.

2. How is the interval of convergence determined?

The interval of convergence can be determined by using the Ratio Test or the Root Test, which are both methods for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. The Ratio Test is generally preferred as it is easier to use.

3. Can the interval of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the interval of convergence can be infinite. This means that the power series converges for all real values of the variable. However, it is also possible for the interval of convergence to be a single point, meaning the series only converges at that specific value of the variable.

4. What happens if a value falls outside the interval of convergence?

If a value falls outside the interval of convergence, the power series will diverge at that value. This means that the series will not have a finite result at that value and may instead approach infinity or oscillate between different values.

5. Can the interval of convergence change for different power series?

Yes, the interval of convergence can vary for different power series. The interval is dependent on the coefficients and exponents of the series, so different series may have different intervals of convergence. It is important to determine the interval of convergence for each individual power series.