Interval in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, in QFT, space-time interval comes in very explicitaly, but in Special/General Relativity, everything can be made Lorentz invariant and space-time interval comes in very explicitaly.
kent davidge
In Special/General Relativity invariance of a space-time interval is just so important. But in Quantum Mechanics, be it non-relativistic or QFT, there seems to be no such parallel. I have always noticed this.
I have some ideas about the reason:

1 - it's not part of the theory to have a conserved interval
2 - there's no way to have a metric in a complex Hilbert space

On the other hand, in QM / QFT conservation of probability seems to be as important as a metric interval is in Special/ General Relativity. So that confuses me.

Probably the answer is that as QM/QFT are worked out in Hilbert Spaces, there's an inner product, which plays the role of a "metric interval" as we know in Special/General Relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
be it non-relativistic or QFT, there seems to be no such parallel

In NRQM, there is no role for the spacetime interval because it's non-relativistic. In QFT, everything is Lorentz invariant and interval plays exactly the same role as distance does in non-relativistic QM.

Have you had a course in QFT? Can you work any of the problems?

Likes bhobba and kent davidge
@kent davidge you are right about the last statement.
In relativity
$$A\cdot B=\sum_{\mu,\nu} g_{\mu\nu}A^{\mu}B^{\nu}, \;\;\; \mu,\nu=0,1,2,3.$$
In QM
$$\langle A| B\rangle=\sum_{i,j} \delta_{ij}A^{i*}B^j, \;\;\; i,j=1,\ldots, {\rm dim}{\cal H}$$
where ##A^i=\langle i|A\rangle##, ##B^j=\langle j|B\rangle##.

Likes kent davidge
Vanadium 50 said:
Have you had a course in QFT?
I've been going through Weinberg's first of his three volumes in QFT. But it has been some time since I last read the book.
Vanadium 50 said:
In QFT, everything is Lorentz invariant and interval plays exactly the same role as distance does in non-relativistic QM
But in Special / General Relativity everything can be made Lorentz invariant and space-time interval comes in very explicitaly. :frown:

Demystifier said:
@kent davidge you are right about the last statement.
In relativity
$$A\cdot B=\sum_{\mu,\nu} g_{\mu\nu}A^{\mu}B^{\nu}, \;\;\; \mu,\nu=0,1,2,3.$$
In QM
$$\langle A| B\rangle=\sum_{i,j} \delta_{ij}A^{i*}B^j, \;\;\; i,j=1,\ldots, {\rm dim}{\cal H}$$
where ##A^i=\langle i|A\rangle##, ##B^j=\langle j|B\rangle##.
Perhaps it is more illuminating to write this as
$$A\cdot B=\sum_k A_kB^k$$
in both relativity and QM. The difference is that in relativity
$$A_k=\sum_l g_{kl}A^l$$
while in QM
$$A_k=(A^{k})^*$$

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
But in Special / General Relativity everything can be made Lorentz invariant and space-time interval comes in very explicitaly.

It also does in QFT, since QFT requires a Lorentzian background spacetime.

Likes bhobba, kent davidge and dextercioby
PeterDonis said:
It also does in QFT, since QFT requires a Lorentzian background spacetime.
No it doesn't. Not all QFT's are relativistic QFT's.

Likes kent davidge
While that's true, I don't think those are the kinds of theories the OP is talking about.

Likes kent davidge
Vanadium 50 said:
While that's true, I don't think those are the kinds of theories the OP is talking about.
Perhaps, but the statement that QFT has Lorentz invariant space-time interval may further confuse the OP.

Likes kent davidge
Thank you to everyone.

Related to Interval in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is an interval in quantum mechanics?

An interval in quantum mechanics refers to the distance between two energy levels of a quantum system. It is a measure of the difference in energy between these levels, and is typically represented by the symbol ΔE.

2. How is an interval calculated in quantum mechanics?

The interval is calculated using the energy eigenvalues of a quantum system, which are obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation. The interval ΔE is then equal to the energy of the higher level minus the energy of the lower level.

3. What is the significance of the interval in quantum mechanics?

The interval plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of quantum systems. It is used to calculate transition probabilities between energy levels, as well as to predict the energy of emitted or absorbed photons. The interval also helps to explain the discrete nature of energy in quantum systems.

4. How is the interval related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The interval is directly related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that the more precisely one measures the energy of a system, the less certain one can be about the time at which the measurement was taken. This is because the interval is inversely proportional to the minimum time interval over which a measurement can be made.

5. Can the interval in quantum mechanics be negative?

No, the interval in quantum mechanics is always a positive value. This is because energy levels in a quantum system are always measured relative to a reference level, and the higher level will always have a larger energy value than the lower level.