Interstellar Gas & Dust, Densities & Temperatures

In summary, the article discusses the different temperatures and densities of plasma, but does not mention any correlation between the two.
treddie
Howdie.
This question started from what was to be a "simple" analysis of heating the air in a room. So much for simplicity when you start to question what exactly is heat and what is happening to atoms and molecules. SOOOO...the question I have (which will have bearing on my INITIAL quest), is this. Does anyone have data for range of density vs. range of temperature for the following Interstellar Medium objects?
1. Cold, dark nebulae
2. Diffuse nebulae
3. Ionized gas
4. Plasma

In my web searches I get vague answers for densities and temperatures but never any rough correlation between the two.

Thanks for any responses!:smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know but if you mean average temperatures and densities then they will be very different for plasma vs atomic vs molecular clouds.

Last edited:
Yes, we're talking near zero deg K to something like 8000 deg K. It seems like all the material out there talks about densities or temperatures but rarely both as a correlation, and even then, the holes in their information are large enough to fit a galaxy through.

Yep...that's some hot stuff there in that link.

But notice that in the article they say that they can look at the density and temperature of such-and-such plasma, then proceed to give temperatures, yet for some reason brain-fart when it comes to reporting densities! Everywhere I go on the web, it's the same thing...no correlation.

the ministry of information not giving relevant and important information? really? I can't believe it. :-)

you may have to buy a textbook to get the information you want.

maybe if I knew what you hope to learn from this I could help you better. (not that I am an expert, of course)

I'm not an expert either (although I play one on TV).

It's time to add a new book to my collection anyway...I think there's one empty slot left.

Related to Interstellar Gas & Dust, Densities & Temperatures

What is interstellar gas and dust?

Interstellar gas and dust refer to the particles and gases that exist in the space between stars. These particles and gases are essential building blocks for new stars and planets.

What is the role of interstellar gas and dust in the formation of stars and planets?

Interstellar gas and dust play a crucial role in the formation of stars and planets. The particles and gases in interstellar space clump together due to gravity, forming dense clouds. These clouds eventually collapse under their own weight, forming new stars and their surrounding planets.

How are densities and temperatures measured in interstellar gas and dust?

Densities and temperatures in interstellar gas and dust are measured using a variety of methods, including spectroscopy, radio astronomy, and infrared imaging. Scientists can analyze the light emitted or absorbed by these particles and gases to determine their densities and temperatures.

What is the average temperature and density of interstellar gas and dust?

The average temperature and density of interstellar gas and dust vary depending on the location in space. However, in general, the temperature ranges from -270 to -150 degrees Celsius, and the density is about 1 particle per cubic centimeter.

Why is studying interstellar gas and dust important?

Studying interstellar gas and dust is crucial because it allows scientists to understand the processes involved in the formation of stars and planets. It also helps us gain insight into the composition of the universe and its evolution. Additionally, studying interstellar gas and dust can also provide clues about the potential for extraterrestrial life.