Intersection of 2 vectors in 3D knowing the angle between the two

In summary, to find the intersection point of two vectors, you will actually need to solve for the intersection point of two lines that contain the given vectors. This involves using parametric equations and the dot product formula to set up an equation with one variable, t. Once you solve for t, you can use it to find the coordinates of the intersection point.
calcioitalia0

Homework Statement

I need to find the intersection point of two vectors.

For vector A, I have it's start point (0,0,0) and it's magnitude in components (-.41, .28, -.08).

For vector B, I only know it's start point (-2.70, -.45, -.21)

I also know that the angle between the two vectors is 38.3 degrees.

I know this system has a unique solution, but I am having trouble arriving there mathematically.

Homework Equations

I am guessing I need to use some combination of AB=|A||B|cos(theta) and setting the equations of the lines equal... but haven't had any success yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said, I've tried writing equations for the two vectors and solving for them equal to each other, as well as a geometric approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Vectors" do not have a point of intersection since they are "movable". What you want is the intersection point of two lines, one of which contains the point (0, 0, 0)has direction vector <-.41, .28, -.08>. That first line can be written in parametric equations as x= -.41t, y= .28t, z= -.08t.

Now, you are told that the second line contains the point (-2.70, -.45, -.21)
and makes an angle of 38.3 degrees with the first line. Now the problem is that in three dimensions there exist an infinite number of lines that make an angle of 38.3 degrees with that first line- Take any cone at an angle of 38.3 degree to that line at any point on the line.

I think what you can do is this: let (x0, y0, z0) be a point on the first line. A vector from that line to (-2.70, -.45, -.21) is of the form <-2.7- x0, -.45- y0, -.21- z0>.

Since the dot product of two vectors, u and v, is given by [itex]u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex] we have
[tex](-2.7- x0)(-2.7)+ (-.45- y0)(-.45)+ (-.21- z0)(-.21)[/tex][tex]= \sqrt{(-2.7- x0)^2+ (-.45- y0)^2+ (-.21- z0)^2}\sqrt{(2.7)^2+ (.45)^2+ (.21)^2}[/tex]

Replace x0, y0, and z0 with x0= -.41t, y0= .28t, z0= -.08t and that becomes an equation in the single variable t. Solve for t and use that t to find x, y, and z.

Related to Intersection of 2 vectors in 3D knowing the angle between the two

1. How do you calculate the intersection point of two vectors in 3D?

To calculate the intersection point of two vectors in 3D, you first need to find the angle between the two vectors. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to find the length of the projection of one vector onto the other. Finally, you can use the projection length to find the coordinates of the intersection point.

2. What is the formula for finding the angle between two vectors in 3D?

The formula for finding the angle between two vectors in 3D is given by the dot product of the two vectors divided by the product of their magnitudes. This can also be written as the inverse cosine of the dot product divided by the product of the magnitudes.

3. How many solutions can there be for the intersection of two vectors in 3D?

The intersection of two vectors in 3D can have either one, infinite, or no solutions. It depends on the direction and magnitude of the two vectors. If the vectors are parallel or anti-parallel, there will be no intersection point. If they are in the same plane and not parallel, there will be an infinite number of solutions. Otherwise, there will be a single unique solution.

4. Can the angle between two vectors in 3D be greater than 180 degrees?

Yes, the angle between two vectors in 3D can be greater than 180 degrees. This occurs when the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in an angle of 180 degrees or more. In this case, the angle between the two vectors can be calculated as the supplementary angle (180 degrees minus the smaller angle between the two vectors).

5. How does the intersection of two vectors in 3D relate to the cross product?

The intersection of two vectors in 3D can be found by taking the cross product of the two vectors and dividing it by the magnitude of the cross product. This will give the unit vector in the direction of the intersection point. The cross product also has a geometric interpretation as the vector perpendicular to both original vectors, which is useful in visualizing the intersection of the two vectors in 3D space.