Thermodynamics/Gas Law questions

• Thread starter Carbonoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation involves two questions related to gas properties. The first question asks for the number of moles of gas, its mass, and density in a container. The second question involves finding the change in volume of a fixed mass of gas passing through a jet engine. The conversation includes hints and equations to solve the questions.
Carbonoid
Hi,

I'm stuck on two questions, I gratefull if someone could help me with them, firstly;

(Q1) "A cubical container of volume 0.10m^3 contains a gas at 300K and 1000000Pa. Assuming that the gas is ideal, determine
a) the number of moles of gas present, given that the Universal Gas constant is 8.3 J/K/mol.
b) the mass of gas present given that its relative molecular mass is 352.
c) the density of the gas"

I'm okay I think working out 1a I used the equation n=PV/RT and got 22.22. I can't seem to find how to work out the mass...and 1c I think I'm okay, I guess I just use M/V.

Secondly;

(Q2) "A fixed mass of gas in passing through a jet engine has its pressure increased from 300000 to 1300000Pa, while its temperature rises from 80(deg C) to 1500 (deg C). By what factor does the volume of gas change?"

I worked out an answer to this but it looks wrong, I used P1/T1 = P2/T2 and found the difference between those two to be 116.638, so is that the correct method to work out the change of volume?

Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Hint: What is the mass of one mole of a material with molecular weight 352?

(2)[tex]\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex] so [tex]\frac{3 \times 10^5 V_1}{353}=\frac{1.3 \times 10^6 V_2}{1773}[/tex] so [tex]V_1=\frac{353 \times 1.3 \times 10^6} {1773 \times 3 \times 10^5} V_2 \approx \frac{5 \times 10^8}{5 \times 10^8} V_2 = V_2[/tex]
so I get that they should be roughly the same.

hey thanks, I get it now

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics and how does it relate to gas laws?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This law is closely related to gas laws because the energy in a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and can be transferred through changes in pressure and volume.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in thermodynamics?

The ideal gas law is a combination of Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law, and it describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. In thermodynamics, this law is used to calculate the behavior of gases under various conditions, such as changes in temperature and pressure.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics explain the direction of heat flow?

The second law of thermodynamics states that heat spontaneously flows from hotter objects to colder objects, and never the other way around. This is because heat naturally tends to spread out and disperse, and it requires energy to concentrate it in one place. This law also explains why heat engines, such as car engines, can never be 100% efficient.

4. What is the difference between an isothermal and adiabatic process in thermodynamics?

An isothermal process is one where the temperature of a system remains constant, while an adiabatic process is one where there is no heat exchange between the system and its surroundings. In an isothermal process, the energy transferred is in the form of heat, while in an adiabatic process, it is in the form of work.

5. How do thermodynamics and gas laws relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics and gas laws play a significant role in our daily lives, from heating and cooling systems in our homes to the way our bodies regulate temperature. The behavior of gases also explains many physical phenomena, such as the expansion of a balloon when heated or the compressibility of air in a bike pump. Understanding these concepts can help us make informed decisions about energy usage and efficiency.