Interpreting force in rotational motion

In summary, the problem involves a motor connected to a cylindrical drum with a massless rope attached to a weight. The torque required for the motor to lift the weight with an acceleration of 1.1 m/s^2 is found by taking into account the net torque, which is equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration, and subtracting the torque due to the mass of the weight. The force applied by the motor is also taken into account in the net torque calculation.
MathewsMD
56. A motor is connected to a solid cylindrical drum with diameter 1.2 m and mass 51 kg. A massless rope is attached to the drum and tied at the other end to a 38-kg weight, so the rope will wind onto the drum as it turns. What torque must the motor apply if the weight is to be lifted with acceleration 1.1 m/s2?

Solution:
J97fIRe.png

NddpeV9.png

I understand almost all the steps. The part where I am confused is when they say Fapp = m(a+g), which makes sense on its own. But then in the next part, they τapp + τmass = 1/2MR(a/R) where τapp = Rm(a+g). Why is this not just RFg which is equal to Rmg? They way they answered the question makes me think they already took into account the torque applied into the torque due to mass since its linear acceleration, by itself, is only g but they included a which is from the applied torque.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that [itex]a[/itex] in [itex]F=ma=F_{app}-mg[/itex] is [itex]a=1.1m/s^2[/itex]. Because [itex]F_{app}[/itex] is known [itex]\left(\; F_{app}=m(a+g)\;\right)[/itex], and is applied with moment arm [itex]R[/itex], the torque for the entire mass is [itex]\tau_{mass}=-RF_{app}= -Rm(a+g)[/itex]. Because the net torque [itex]\tau_{net}=I\alpha[/itex] where [itex]\alpha=\frac{a}{R}[/itex] (because it's just angular acceleration and you know that a distance [itex]R[/itex] from the center, the linear acceleration is [itex]a[/itex]), you could see now how [tex]\tau_{net}=\tau_{app}+\tau_{mass}\\
\Rightarrow \tau_{app}=\tau_{net}-\tau_{mass}= I \frac{a}{R} -\left(-Rm(a+g)\right)[/tex]

edit: You account for [itex]F_g[/itex] in [itex]F_{app}[/itex], because the block isn't just falling. There is another force applied so that it's net acceleration is [itex]a[/itex]. This is why they don't just use [itex]RF_g[/itex], but they use [itex]RF_{app} = Rma - RF_g[/itex]

Likes 1 person
lucasem_ said:
You know that [itex]a[/itex] in [itex]F=ma=F_{app}-mg[/itex] is [itex]a=1.1m/s^2[/itex]. Because [itex]F_{app}[/itex] is known [itex]\left(\; F_{app}=m(a+g)\;\right)[/itex], and is applied with moment arm [itex]R[/itex], the torque for the entire mass is [itex]\tau_{mass}=-RF_{app}= -Rm(a+g)[/itex]. Because the net torque [itex]\tau_{net}=I\alpha[/itex] where [itex]\alpha=\frac{a}{R}[/itex] (because it's just angular acceleration and you know that a distance [itex]R[/itex] from the center, the linear acceleration is [itex]a[/itex]), you could see now how [tex]\tau_{net}=\tau_{app}+\tau_{mass}\\
\Rightarrow \tau_{app}=\tau_{net}-\tau_{mass}= I \frac{a}{R} -\left(-Rm(a+g)\right)[/tex]

edit: You account for [itex]F_g[/itex] in [itex]F_{app}[/itex], because the block isn't just falling. There is another force applied so that it's net acceleration is [itex]a[/itex]. This is why they don't just use [itex]RF_g[/itex], but they use [itex]RF_{app} = Rma - RF_g[/itex]

Thanks for the clarification!

Related to Interpreting force in rotational motion

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is different from linear motion, which is the movement of an object in a straight line.

2. How is force interpreted in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, force is interpreted as torque, which is the tendency of a force to cause rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between force and rotational motion?

The relationship between force and rotational motion is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the net torque applied to an object is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and its angular acceleration. In simpler terms, the more force applied, the greater the rotational motion.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia in rotational motion is calculated by summing the products of each mass element and its squared distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol I and has units of kilograms times meters squared (kg*m^2).

5. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational motion?

The distribution of mass affects rotational motion as it determines the moment of inertia of an object. Objects with more mass concentrated at a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia and therefore require more torque to achieve the same rotational motion as an object with less mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation.